Super Bronc Update And Help?

I got the engine back together on the super bronc tonight. I tore it down and installed some tecumseh star goodies and did a ring job and repainted the engine and added the mikuni carb. Installed a new exhaust system as well and will have pics of that up tomorrow. Im still breaking the engine in and I am on the 2nd oil change before switching to mobil 1. At half throttle and taking it easy this thing flies! I now have another problem to address :hammer: I need to balance my wheels some how because it has alittle shimmy at about 65mph. Can a typical wheel shop balance these type of wheels and tires? Wheels are 22x11-8.

Last edited:
Scott - I know these tires are not high speed tires especially for only 2 ply :doah: I had the bike on the lift and spun the wheels and the front has a very slight wobble but it doesnt look like the rim is the problem but the tire (the way they are made Im guessing) has a slight whip in it.

Nitrohorse - Im not sure if going any faster would have made the shimmy go away? I don't know how much faster it would have gone either. Im not making a habbit of driving that fast everytime I ride the bike but it sure is nice to know that it can.

3jvj - Thanks, I was riding with my brother and he had is old 82' Suzuki GS300 and was laughing and shaking his head when we got back home.

I think I'll leave it alone now before any more little surprises show up and enjoy it. Pics will be later today when I get out to the shop.

Probably balancing might help a little but I think the tires are just manufactured out of round and thus give the loping effect that I have noticed on all my big tire bikes.
My Super Bronc did it and all three of my Manco big Cats lope to varying degrees, these tires just are not made for highway speeds and I wouldn't trust the tires to stay on the rims above 35 or 40 at most, remember that the recommended air pressure is only 10 to 13 psi, that's not much pressure to hold the tire to the rim. Best be careful.

Vette

Last edited:
I probaby will change the tires down the road. The stock carlisle knobbies dont drive the greatest on back country roads and thats where I do most of my riding. I'm taking the bike to wisconsin next summer with some friends to go ATV riding and Im pretty sure I'm going to need a better set of tires anyways. Here's what I had in mind and they are a 4 ply and probably a little more high speed friendly and the tread pattern would be great for snow.

Vette - How do you like those manco big cats? How are they compaired to a super bronc? I love the big gas tank those have and seems like you could really get out into the boonies with the fear of running out of gas.

Last edited:
Nitrohorse - Im not sure if going any faster would have made the shimmy go away? I don't know how much faster it would have gone either. Im not making a habbit of driving that fast everytime I ride the bike but it sure is nice to know that it can.
I was joking with you. I'm not sure I'd do 65 on a mini... period.

Well, maybe in my younger days I would have, but it takes too long to heal as you get older.
I plan on a top end ride on my mini once it's done, but that will be after I'm totally confident in what I have.

I am curious what you all did to your motor other than that carb, I dont want to go 65, but I would like to make my VT-10 a little faster. If you don't mind maybe shoot me an email with some specifics.
Also I am dropping those stickers in the mail tomorrow. Let me know when you get them, and if they look alright. Thanks
-Scott

Vette - How do you like those manco big cats? How are they compaired to a super bronc? I love the big gas tank those have and seems like you could really get out into the boonies with the fear of running out of gas.[/QUOTE]

I really liked the way the Super Bronc rode with the suspension on both ends, it had a higher top end speed which I didn't need so I installed a larger rear sprocket which gave it quite a bit more low speed torque in the woods.
The Big Cats don't go quite as fast and the ride is rougher but they have gobs of low speed power which is what I use most.
The Super Bronc bikes have more ground clearance than the Big Cats which comes in handy sometimes.
The big tank is good and bad for me, good that it holds a lot of fuel, bad that it holds a lot of fuel because the fuel goes bad before I get it all used and I end up draining it out, so I usually fill not even half full, it seems a waste to have to put Stabil in for the summer time.
I imagine a lot of folks don't care for the big tire bikes but I like them, I also have a Rokon which has a 10hp West Bend two stoke, it is a whole different animal, I guess you can just barely call it a mini bike.

Vette

Last edited:
Vette I'm the guy that bought your bronc.Haveing a ball rideing that thing.It,s getting a make over this winter just wondering if you still have the other sproket you took off.Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask.

thanks COOP

Vette I'm the guy that bought your bronc.Haveing a ball rideing that thing.It,s getting a make over this winter just wondering if you still have the other sproket you took off.Sorry if this is not the correct place to ask.

thanks COOP

Coop
This thread is about Super Broncs anyway and yours (now) is the one I was talking about so no big deal. Glad you are enjoying the Super Bronc. Yes, I still have the 60 tooth sprocket, it is good.
If you would like to have it, you pay the shipping and I will send it to you, no charge.

PM me.

Vette

p.s.
Since Coop drove from Texas to Ohio to pick up my Super Bronc, it is the least I can do.:thumbsup::smile:

Here are some pictures as promised.. A BIG thank's to Scott for the decals. The quality of these are outstanding and very well done! I love these! :thumbsup: Also have a pic of the new exhaust system, It's the closest I could get for an original look. Best part is it has a removable baffle with fiberglass so I can go quiet or take out a screw and remove the baffle and go loud. I took the fiber glass packing out but left the baffle in and its just perfect. Much quieter than before with no noticable loss in power.

Ruppster81 where do git the flex pipe for the exhaust and how does it attach to the engine?Was the VT-10 exhaust similar to the 8?Is that a spare belt hooked in the front for deep woods emergencys?
Enough ?'s great looking bike dude.:thumbsup:

I got it out of a junkyard, It was pretty like chrome when I first got it. It is 1 1/8" OD flex pipe. I have no idea where to get this stuff new. The only complaint I have with mine is that it turned dark really fast as you can see. I wish I could find some stainless steel flex pipe. I will probably end up painting the flex pipe bbq black to make it look somewhat better. I'm on a hunt to find some better pipe but it looks like I would have to buy a bulk roll, I've searched the internet quite a bit on this.

Mounting the exhaust I just used a piece of 3/4" threaded pipe about 2 1/2" long with a lock ring. Then slide the pipe right over and its a perfect fit. I need to get a bushing for the muffler end but I think yellowhand is working on that for me? I'm not sure how heald did the exhaust for the VT8's and VT10's? I think it was all optional... you could go with the muffler under the seat and blow it down in front of the rear fender or you can go with the over the rear fender style. I chose this style because it was the easiest to do and just had enough pipe to do it.

The belt holder bracket I made at the start of my build, It's a neat way to carry a spare belt. No sense wasting space on the frame so a belt fits right in there perfect. Always go riding prepaired!

I just talked to Ron Kimbell at Power Tec today about the Super Bronc exhaust. He has the stainless flex pipe for .99 cents an inch. Tell him how much you need and he will cut you off a piece from a 50 foot roll. Ron said it clamps to a 1 inch pipe attached to the engine exhaust outlet. Ron's phone number is (800)535-9529. In talking to Ron, he said that a company called Nelson made the original muffler used on the Bronc. They ended up scrapping the tooling so it is no longer available.
Rick :weld:

Another piece of information from Ron along the lines of scrapping of tooling. This is in regards to the Super Bronc injection molded clutch guard. He said a division of that Westinghouse made the covers. Ron owned the tooling. Westinghouse communicated that they were closing shop. When Ron found out, he left to recover his tooling. When he got there, they had already chained the doors shut. He could not get his tooling and later found out that it was shipped to Mexico as scrap. Ron said it would cost 60K $ to make new tooling. He also said that they are still somewhat involved with trying to locate the tooling. Maybe by some small chance somebody would run across it. They found the Mustang pedal car tooling in Mexico and started remaking that based on the original tooling. They also found one of Big Daddy Ed Roth's car in Mexico to and are now restoring it. There may be a chance for the clutch cover!
Rick :weld: