Super Bronc VT-8, Just For Fun

I'll join this party, might get motivated to finish this thing, Picked up this Bronc awhile back, got it tore apart, found a motor for it and started collecting parts, then kind of stalled out. I'm on the road right now so I'll post my official pic later this week, plus I have to find a coffee cup, don't drink the stuff.

So this is what it looked like when I got it

Tore down

Thanks for your participation...Looks like it will be a good project:thumbsup:. And I will try to forget the "don't drink the stuff" comment.:laugh:

Hey Heavy, glad to have you in the build. There aren't a whole lot of Heald bikes around and I have this growing passion for them. I am very much looking forward to this bike!

Doc

So here is my official entry photo, complete with my versiuon of a coffee mug.

20160115_180702.jpg

I've mostly been removing paint and working on the motor so far. In some places the paint was a 1/4" thick. I've got the fenders pretty well done, they'll be repainted, the chrome is trashed. The frame and front forks I'm still working on, may have to take them to a blaster.

I started on the motor mostly, it was in sad shape. When they painted the bike they used house paint and a brush and they painted everything. The carb was so bad the linkages wouldn't move. Started taking the motor apart, pulled the TAV bracket off and found they had used the wrong length bolts. 3 out of the 4 holes were busted out the back and 2 of them had cracks coming off them. So started the hunt for a new motor, found a 10hp Tec on craigs off a generator, but it had the wrong crank. Did some checking and discovered the 8hp and 10hp used the same crank, swapped cranks and now have a running motor and an upgrade, it's now a VT-10.

That's as far as I've got right now. I think I'm going with a military theme, have a lot of camo green paint off another project. Here is a partial list of things I need to do.

Got a GTC TAV off a friend, rated to 13hp
Make a TAV cover
Install lighting coil and flywheel
Rig up a battery box
Have throttle and brake handles off an old Sportster, clean up and use
Figure out a front brake, rim has a drum, but no internals
Get a seat made, foam is in good shape, cover and seat pan trashed
Make a trailer hitch

Thx for reading, any comments or suggestions always appreciated

Hi Heavy,
Looks like a very good bike. Most of it is there. I would definitely consider a blaster. It costs a few dollars but so so so much easier. Also, on the engine, try and find a new side cover. It would be the easiest way to keep the motor original and not lose the lighted coil. Try Chatten63 for the front brake. He would probably be able to make you a factory hitch if you wanted also. Rick is my Patron Saint with the Healds. I have been to Ron Kimball at Powertec and he has no more parts for the brake. Just to let you know, the front brake isn't very good at all. You will rely pretty much solely on the rear brake. Heald put those on to make the fourth safety feature so the bike would be able to be titled in some states. Beyond that, Ron will tell you strongly that the front brake is worthless. I can't wait to see this bike done. You have a great bike.

Doc

Doc- The motor that was on it wasn't original, looked like it was off a snowblower maybe, and it didn't have a lighting coil either. The hitch I'm going to make a little heavier than the stock one, because I plan on using this thing down at our camp and not for sure what all I'm going to tie on. One of the first thing I did was get in touch with Powertec, got a set of plans, some bearings and a new rear brake set up, great guys.

Cheezy- Never have liked coffee and way back in the day I worked banquets in a hotel. Some days I would have to make 30 or 40 gallons of coffee a day, now I can't even stand the smell. So the MD became the caffeine fix.

Thx for the comments guys. Started tearing the motor back apart today for cleaning and painting.

Truth be known My VT-3 didn't come with a motor and I can't spend tons of money on a lighted motor so I understand completely. The good news is that our bikes are still going to be great with or without lights lol. Glad you called Ron at Powertec. I could spend the day just BSing with him. Someday (and soon) I am going to drive up for a day, go sit with him and maybe take him to lunch or dinner and hopefully hear great stories of the old days. As far as you're motor, I just figured a side cover would have been easier than switching a crank BUT I see you have a much better running motor. My one piece of advise, when you get it running, get the Comet lube and lube the driver. It made a huge difference in how mine ran. I lube it every couple of hours of use which is more than recommended. It is so smooth with it. You're going to have one of the best bikes in the minibike world when you get done.

Doc

Tore the motor apart the other day and gave it a good cleaning and soaked the carb

Gave it a paint job, added the lighting coil and flywheel and put it all back together this morning

Picked up the TAV from my friend's garage and did a test fit. The recommended belt that I bought was way to tight, so ordered a different one this morning

Got a new seat pan cut out and working on the shocks, should have those done in the next day or 2

Sorry for the oversize pics, the forum gallery kept posting them sideways
Thx for watching

Got a few things done, found an ammo box over at a friends house that had a corner banged in and was missing the lid. Thought I took a before pic, but couldn't find it, so here is the first test fit.

Cut slots in the top to use the existing mounts and trimmed it up some more.

Cut a piece off the damaged side to make the bottom

Here it is pretty much done, need to do some more grinding and sanding

Got the fenders cleaned up and painted. Put the seat and shocks on, but didn't like the angle they were on. Moved the mount farther back, which gave me a little more room for travel between seat and fender. So that's how she looks right now.

Almost forgot, found a light socket that would fit the tail light and got that mounted.

Sorry,not much to update right now. I've been on the road for work the past couple of weeks and have another couple to go. I've been ordering parts so when I get back should be ready to start.