Surprise!

OldMan

I recently ordered a Baja Doodle Bug rolling frame from the guy on Ebay (Paul Hull), and it came in just before I left for vacation. It’s a nice frame for the price and I was tempted to order another. (I planned to turn the first one into a three-wheeler for my Grand-kids to ride ~ I figured the second one could be for me… )

I got back in to town last week, and on Friday, when I went out to check the mail before leaving for work (I work nights), I found this on my porch.

I figured the guy had messed up and shipped the frame twice, so I planned to call today and see if they wanted to have FedEx pick it up...

This past weekend, I get a PM from a friend of mine, half a country away, asking if I was messing with him?

HUH?!

Now this guy believes that anything less than seven minis is living deprived, so it seems he’d seen me talking about my winter (3-wheeler) project and meant to surprise me with the frame… but I hadn’t acknowledged getting it, so he PM’d me… well, we were both surprised!!!

So now, I have two projects, a 6HP~TAV2 powered mini for me… and a 4HP three wheeled mini for the g’kids!

Friends like this one, everyone should have… and for those who are curious, here’s how the frame comes from Paul Hull

And here it is assembled… I still need to decide on paint colors, and I have to order some more parts.

THANKS GTO

Yeah that was an experience. :doah:

The bike got shipped twice due to the wrong first digit on the zip code, (probably my fault) Paul Hull didn't have my number to call me back so when I called to get a tracking number and to see if he got it I find that it was in limbo in the shop and they needed the proper zip. (they were very helpfull about it BTW,) So then I finally get a notice the bike was delivered but all was quite so now I think it might have been stolen from the porch or something. (more hair loss!) :doah::doah::doah::doah::censure:

So I couldn't stand it anymore and send a PM to old man only to find he ALREADY bought a doodle bug and thought he got double shipped! :eek:ut:

Oh well, it all worked out :doah: and it was the least I could do since I have a memento of my own that was a quite a surprise I am very fond of it! ;D I only wish I could have found you the right engine for the kiddy's at the same time. :sadcrying4:

Can't wait to see the project's in progress. :thumbsup:

Old man, I know you're looking for a kat axle for the 3 wheeler,, try and find a cart with a good engine and bigger rear tires (kill three birds with one stone). I usually can them for $100-$150 and less with no running motor. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I thought about buying one of those for the hell of it because they are so cheap on ebay, but it seems that they are so cheap new and complete that that may be the way to go....I dunno though.

What did that cost to the door? Seems that the shipping quote is really low. Do they actually ship them that cheap?

delray

hey oldman,you could build a set of bolt on training wheels. so when he gets older you could take them off.
did you get the disc brake unit? if not by the the unit that came with the bike(bolt on,no welding or modifly). my unit works so good that i can lock the rear tire. the only problem i had with my unit at first was i had to adjust it couple times to get it right:thumbsup:
also have let my buddy's kids ride my baja doodlebug and they have no problems stoping it at all.

Thanks guys... training wheels would be less costly for sure... may have to think about that.

My grand-kids are 6 and 4, so I thought a trike would be the way to go, but training wheels could work too.

DEVO?! Oh..... Man.... :scared:

I think you'd be better off with the training wheels. You'll spend time & money getting the axle setup and by that time, they'd be ready for two wheels.

Kids learn pretty quickly... depending on how much time you let them ride it. :thumbsup:

delray

hey oldman,here are couple pictures of what it looks like with a 4hp flathead with a tav-2. bike is phil b. from minidoodle.com
looks good with this set up.
kids are only 6 and 4 this set up would be way to much for them,but perfect for you:thumbsup: i also seen some of the guys install a newer style engines.

Thanks for the pics and ideas... the kids' bike will just have a c-clutch, along with a throttle limiter (at least to start with), but mine will have a TAV... haven't decided on the engine yet... I'm going to try one of the after-market disc calipers too, since replacement pads are easy to come by.