Swing Arm Building Questions

Hi guys, I am building a longer swing arm for my mini bike, and I was wondering if you need to have bearings where the swing arm bolts to the frame and pivots? or would a bushing inside just work?

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

JamnJM

What type of a frame?

Bolt thru frame and swing arm pivots on it works. I'm working on a top secret way of mounting a longer mini cycle swing arm.....:grind: :rolleyes:

oseanc

I dont know chit, but i think a bearing could be better and more available. A bushing is more low profile and i think prolly work better for your application for a swing arm. But... finding one the size you need can and prolly be a problem. Also i think your gonna need thrust washers or something, which also takes up space. I was wondering the same thing for my powells rear swing arm. It has bearings with no sheilds it looks like. Kinda like a skateboard bearing thats been beat to shit and the plastic/rubber ring is gone lol. Some skate bearings are sheilded and some agricultrual, meaning that the sheild is "plastic" or steel. I asked my pops if we should change em.... he said nah hahahaha it just grease em dummy! How much is the swing arm moving? Can u make your own hole or have exsisting holes? Show us a picture. Is it worth changing? Good luck getting the right answer Clayon cause i know how ruff it is asking something about a mini bike here lol. :laugh::doah:

Here's the picture of the bike. The existing swing arm is kinda short, so I am building a new one that is longer.

Thanks for helping so far guys. :thumbsup:

The swing arm Im going to have built is somewhat similar to your bike from what I can tell.

If yours uses a bolt the entire distant (mine does) Im going to tap it for a grease zirk and that way i know it will always be lubricated. I thought about adding a bearing to each side but didnt want to go through that much work.

Good luck with your build!

oseanc

That thing is bicthn the way it is!:thumbsup: I thought you had a project/chopper. If you had a longer swing prolly make it more prone to problems. Gat a pair of those hydraulic shocks maybe instead of "mechanical". Then... if they give you more kush, "travel" tell me so i can buy a pair for my TacoT100. The shocks you have look pretty cool tho, what are they? Ya that mini is bad arse dont fudge wit it! What is it lol... :shrug::laugh:

The reason I want to extent the rear swing arm is because with the short wheelbase it isn't very comfy to ride, and when you cut it wide open you have to lean forward, and that is with a 40 tooth rear sprocket and 10 tooth clutch. I don't want to stretch it much, just 4 or 5 inches. I got a idea for a swing arm now though.

By the way, I am not sure what kind of shocks are on the back, they came on the bike stock. The bike is a 1973 Keystone Deluxe if that helps. :shrug:

Clay
how is it setup now? Bushing or bearing? Why not just build one setup the same just longer. Keep it simple.all the swingarm bikes we have just have bushings.

I think a simple way would be to cut the shock eye off the swingarm,then extend the swingarm by cutting the tube and adding the same size tube steel to the desired length,then weld the cut off shock eye back on the swingarm.:shrug:
( Move just the shock eye "NOT" the whole axle mount.)

Last edited:
Hey Clay a different way of doing this would be to "hand machine" a pair of adapter plates that bolt on the existing rear axel mounts.
You would have to do the same with the upper shock mounts as well .
Rob

If you wanna make it look really cool, i think you should double what you have. Extend the swing arm and frame, add a couple shock mounts and 2 more shocks! It will look like an old skool lifted 80's truck with pink shock boot covers. Like Yooper said make your own custom "swing arm mini. Plus start with a better design like a powell. Has anyone made a clone powell yet? prolly:laugh::hammer:

Thanks for the help guys, ya Yooper I kinda figured most bikes used bushings but I wasn't sure because I just haven't seen enough swing arm bikes to know for sure. And Rob, I like your idea for machining, but since I don't have the tools to do it myself I will weld up a new swing arm. I am gonna build my swing arm similar to the one Ivan has on his Rupp gasser. I like it because it looks simple enough to build, but looks good too. I am hoping to get going on it tonight. :grind: :shrug:

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

You can cut the round tubing, add extra same od / id tubing as a length spacer and with an inner sleeve to support the joints. Drill little weld holes to secure the inner steel tubing too. Sand and paint....never know it was done. :thumbsup:

If that bolt is 1/2" you can use the 5/8" x 1/2" bronze bushings (steering / fork bushings) as the pivot point bearings.

Well I looked around my farm tonight, in all of my 5 different scrap piles, and sure enough I found the ride size piece of tubing, with really nice and thick walls. I began working on the swing arm, and right now I have the pieces bent, cut, and notched. Tomorrow I can weld most of it together. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for the help. :drinkup:

check out chpusa.net you may find a good swing arm from a different bike that will meet your specs and brass bushings are great i get mine from ace hardware and bearings are better but more race and off road type thing. and ps i would do new swing arm from scratch and not hack up the original just me i would shelve the original for stock reasons.
i did the same thing and i got my swing arm and modify it from a pit bike Honda 50 style

I built a extended swingarm for my speedway used 1" tube sleeved with 3/4 DOM tube and the original steel rod which is the axle for the swingarm. No bushing was needed fit with a couple of thousanths clearance and used mobil 1 synthetic grease when assembling. There is not much motion on the swingarm so the greasing will last for years.