swing arm questions

vegetable

looking to build a rear swing arm for my motovox and i have a few questions
1. what is a sutable amount of tube to get for making one?
2. how can i keep the chain tight with a clutch to accommodate for the swing arm travelling?
3. how can i make the rear axle brackets? is there tube that looks like the tube for the front forks, or how can i fab it myself?

just looking for advice, because im pretty sure i have a general idea how a swing arm functions, just not how i could make a pivot point/chain tension work out for me

nightgrider

I'm no expert but, I'm sure others will chime in. The difficulty of this project will depend on your fabrication skills and tools available to you. To answer your questions.

1. By amount, do you mean length or tube diameter? Most older mini bikes are 7/8 inch tubing, but your motovox is a newer bike (at least for me). You should measure your bike's tubing diameter with a caliper to find out its diameter. DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) steel tubing is what you will want to look for. Length is going to be determined by you and what you're looking for.
2. The best way move the chain's pivot point as close to the swing arm's pivot point as you can. This is usually done using a jackshaft. One chain runs from the clutch to the the jackshaft. And another chain from the jackshaft to the rear sprocket.
3. I believe there are some vendors online that sell them like, go power sports, but you should check out hent.com. He can probably hook you up and he is an administrator on this site. You can also make them yourself out of 3/16 inch steel plate. You'll want to slot the axle holes so you can adjust chain tension.

Hope this information helps and good luck on your project.

Last edited:

vegetable

I'm no expert but, I'm sure others will chime in. The difficulty of this project will depend on your fabrication skills and tools available to you. To answer your questions.

1. By amount, do you mean length or tube diameter? Most older mini bikes are 7/8 inch tubing, but your motovox is a newer bike (at least for me). You should measure your bike's tubing diameter with a caliper to find out its diameter. DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) steel tubing is what you will want to look for. Length is going to be determined by you and what you're looking for.
2. The best way move the chain's pivot point as close to the swing arm's pivot point as you can. This is usually done using a jackshaft. One chain runs from the clutch to the the jackshaft. And another chain from the jackshaft to the rear sprocket.
3. I believe there are some vendors online that sell them like, go power sports, but you should check out hent.com. He can probably hook you up and he is an administrator on this site. You can also make them yourself out of 3/8 inch steel plate. You'll want to slot the axle holes so you can adjust chain tension.

Hope this information helps and good luck on your project.
this does help a lot with narrowing down the materials needed, thank you. I've studied how swing arms for pit bikes and other people's designs for a while now in anticipation for this project

though I am confused on the jackshaft setup, would I need to flip my wheel around to the other side, since my sprocket is on the left. or can I just run the chain to the sprocket on the jackshaft and align it with the wheel sprocket?

nightgrider

this does help a lot with narrowing down the materials needed, thank you. I've studied how swing arms for pit bikes and other people's designs for a while now in anticipation for this project

though I am confused on the jackshaft setup, would I need to flip my wheel around to the other side, since my sprocket is on the left. or can I just run the chain to the sprocket on the jackshaft and align it with the wheel sprocket?
You are welcome. You can flip it but you don't have to. It depends on the the space available in your frame and where the chain lands. My fox campus has it all on one side.

Attachments

vegetable

You are welcome. You can flip it but you don't have to. It depends on the the space available in your frame and where the chain lands. My fox campus has it all on one side.
ah ok, cause right now I run a straight chain which is aligned nearly spot on so I would have to see how I could make the jackshaft work

nightgrider

ah ok, cause right now I run a straight chain which is aligned nearly spot on so I would have to see how I could make the jackshaft work
You will probably have to flip your sprocket. Honestly having the input and output on opposing sides of the jackshaft is probably better for more even load on the jackshaft bearings. You'll have to see how it all lays out for your frame.

Last edited: