TAV 2 30 series question

I am getting a predator 301cc (8HP), for my bad dog mini bike build (the big one with the 22 tall x 11 wide tires). I know it's at the upper end of the limit, but I am going to use a comet TAV2 30 series converter for the 1" shaft (218355).

My question is: has anyone bolted one of these on the predator 301cc ? The shaft length is 1" x 3.48" & I am wondering if the drive pulley will be close to the engine, or will it be outboard because of the longer shaft ?

Thanks in Advance.

I don't think they work on those engines. The problem is the driven shaft support sticks out and hits the head.... At least that is the problem I had when trying one on a block bigger than the Predator 212cc before.

Thanks Mike, I've seen that with a lot of other folks here. I spoke to Robin before the holidays, & he will leave the engine plate loose for me.

One of my concerns with the 8 hp harbor freight engine is the driver pulley. Since the engine shaft is longer, will it bolt right up or will the pulley be spaced out from the engine too much ?

I have also seen the GTC converter with looks like it's rated for 8-13 HP, and seen some folks use them, however, how can this one be rated for more HP, than the original TAV2 ?

Well - back to doing more reading !

I can't imagine what it would be like to ride that engine/tav combo. Running 19"x7" low pressure tires now, feels a little squirrelly in turns on asphalt. Off road should be a comfy, torquey ride. Probably a wheelie machine with that 301 too!

I can't imagine what it would be like to ride that engine/tav combo. Running 19"x7" low pressure tires now,
Well....

Imagine for a moment a drunk on roller skates.

Softer wider larger does improve the ride and in packed clay ( provided its in good shape ) you can get pretty good traction.

Ratchet asks how one TAV can be rated for more power than the other with the same belt.
Excellent question.

The GCT is made of knock off parts from China and the Chinese are prone to stretch the truth a little.
I once heard someone was told by Comet people the TAV was good mechanically for more power but the belt and consumable parts would wear out exponentially faster.

I have throne a little more power at a 30 series than it was intended for and agree its going to be hard on belts, but in defense of the system they do push around a lot of heavier machines like karts.
I think the rating might be based on a continues 8 hp and with a little duty factor worked in maybe more power with reasonable expectation of shorter component life.

Here is a good question:
How many people here have broken or had troubles with a TAV-30 ?
I think you will be hard pressed to find too many that say the system is a stinker.
It is about a minimalist an approach to a CVT you can get that is still reliable.

to use a tav on that style of engine, you will have to tilt it downwards by using the other bolt holes.
then you will have to space the engine up from the engine plate or tilt the engine plate up in the rear.

have robin, leave the engine plate loose, not welded
my bad dog
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/108361-bad-dog.html
Thanks Mike - I will be grinding on my TAV2, and head on my 301cc this weekend to get the TAV to fit, I may have to cut a spacer on the lathe to line up the pulleys perfectly.

hey, no problem
i did have to adjust the spacer on the tav,
you can use spacers on the bolts, between the tav and engine. if you do use body washers and mic them. so they are the same thickness.
take your time, you will get it. post up some pics
mine clocks in the mid 30's, rides well on the pavement @ 6psi
needs a springer seat tho
post pics please

toomanytoys

My super bronc 8HP TAV 30 runs 42mph down the pavement and feels stable as any other bike I've ever ridden. If I could get plates on it, I'd ride that sucker all over the place!