TAV30 2 rated for high HP

KB2ROCKET

would anyone be interested
in a torque converter system that would bolt to your engine like a TAV30-2 but can handle up to 40 HP without having to mount a jackshaft to your chassis:question4:

Of course you are kidding LOL . The TAV 2 is rated for a top HP of 8 and that is pushing it . And as it is designed to bolt onto the side of a 4 stroke engine and has the Jack shaft built in. What engine are you looking to use that has 40 HP. The only advantage of the TAV-2 is that it is asymmetrical so that both movable shive faces are on the same side and only the 30 series is asymmetrical. The Hoff co. ( Comet ) has a lot of different series to handle that type of power but I do believe they all are symmetrical type of converters and require that the movable faces be on opposite sides of a symmetrical belt and these converters are not small.
Steve :scooter:

Steve, I think he's talking about something like a larger snowmobile drive mounted to a plate like a TAV. I've got a couple of those and I've been thinking about doing the same thing. It would have to go on a larger mini, or a hand built one though, or maybe a big trail scooter type mini. Check out his Boonie trike thread from last year.

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

what I am proposing is a tav30-2 style bolt on torque converter based on the 94c converter
yes it will be large but it will handle lots of power
and wont require a chassis mounted jackshaft the whole system will bolt to the side cover and may also use a bracket from the rear shaft to the motor mount holes

The little mini dune buggy I built 6 years ago for my Grand Children has a bolt on jack shaft for the little 3 HP Tecumseh engine. It has 4 bolts to the side cover and it slides for chain adjustment it has worked flawlessly for all the years of very heavy use.
I just don't see what's wrong with mounting a jack shaft to the chassis it would be stronger and less complex . Don't forget that the Comet 94C is a symmetrical application and the two movable faces must be opposed.
Steve :scooter:

KB2ROCKET

not a thing wrong with mounting a jackshaft to the chassis
I just prefer the drive system to stay with the engine I may try this engine on different projects