Teaching small children to ride a minibike

Oldsalt

The attached pic is all I have of my eldest son riding his first minibike. The snapshot is dated Nov.65. He was 5 years old. The minibike is a Frijole with a Lawson engine. As he was the only kid around that had a mini it was also necessary to show several youngsters how the ride. Twenty two years after he was born I acquired another son and the same routine was necessary. Numerous kids had to be taught to ride over the years including grand children [and soon a great grandchild].

This has been my method and I think it is a safe way.

First of all be sure that the child is ready mentally and physically to accomplish the feat. If the youngster fails he will only be set-back by the initial lack of success. The child must really show interest in riding it...otherwise he is not ready. Try the child out if they have interest but be ready to limit [for now] to being only a passenger if you or the parent begins to have second thoughts. Certainly a 7 year old would have a considerably greater learning curve than a child a year or two younger

First put the child in front of you on the minibike and ride around slowly in a small backyard sized oval. Do this until it is certain that any apprehension has evaporated. It's fun and it doesn't hurt. You can require that they put their hand on top your hand so they can get some idea about how the twist throttle works. Again, if the child shows apprehension don't go any further [for now] than them being a passenger.

With a rather tall gear ratio [bike won't accelerate very well] and a throttle that is 'set' for minimum rpm the child can then be put on the bike and the two controls explained. But you can be sure the child is not listening too well about the throttle and the brake. I think they learn by doing a lot better than by verbal instruction.

Then fire the motor and, standing beside the bike with your hand firmly holding the rear of the mini, ask the child to advance the throttle. Usually they [nowadays] think it is like a video game controller and whack it wide open. No problem. You have a firm hold on the bike above the rear tire and it is easy to slightly lift the machine so that there is no traction. The bike can't fall over ether. Around and around you go until the rider internalizes [or you are exhausted!] the fact that the speed of the engine is governed by twisting the grip on the right. It may be necessary to do a bunch of this if the child is quite young; but if the child is never given reason to be frightened they learn pretty fast. Especially if they are praised by a nearby parent and everyone is smiling and nothing is grim and mysterious.

Then, perhaps the next day, the same thing except that the hand brake is lesson to be learned [if the throttle does not first need a lot of brushing-up on]. Say stop and they try the brake [at very low speed]. After a full stop and then throttle application to get to walking speed and again command to apply the brake.

I found that it was best to never get serious about the program with kids. It is suppose to be fun. If a child is getting apprehensive, or whatever, simply let some other sidelined child take a turn. They always want to get back in the swim if they watch a peer do it.

I am convinced that a mini is easier to learn to ride than a bicycle.

Can truthfully say that not one child has ever been injured under my supervision during the learning stage and their first solos. Ya, when they get a bit older and are left unattended they [just like you did] get a bit braver and a skinned knee can be a result even on a soft lawn.

Consider liability. It must be firmly understood by the legal guardian [and they must be present during the training] that they agree to the process. They can also do a bunch of the trotting around in a circle with a hand gripped on the minibike.

Chain guards to fully cover every pinch point are necessary. As is a muffler that is guarded so a child cannot get burned.

I never had any luck using 'training wheels'. A child's toes [bare minimum] must be able to touch the ground. A minibike is heavier than a child's bicycle so that is necessary.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to a better or safer method? I'm all ears.

Oldsalt the pic is cool . I know when i got my daughter a yamaha PW80 she was very young and had only ridden a bike . But i explained the throttle and how to use front and rear brake together and she got on and rode like a pro so it was to easy for me . Now the only problem i had when we got atv's is i had my 500 AC first and had the throttle stop set to barely move in first gear so all was good . When I came out she's moving along pretty good and had figured out to shift up though the gears to go faster .

It was pretty cool watching all the kids with training wheels on their mini bikes at Windber last year. I will have to see how many dont need them this year.

my experience with this and raising 2 boys. both of them took off balls to the wall, balance be damned and figured it out in seconds, like they were born with it.
years later married a woman with 2 small girls. One day her sister was over with her small son, so off we went to the garage to teach them the joys of the minibike. End result, the same, he hopped on, understood how it works once explained and went like a bat out of hell no worries! The girls on the other hand, whew, I ran for miles beside the minibike holding them up, the oldest gave up, the youngest finally mastered it enough to ride w/o to many crashes.
Soooooooo with that being said, my data seems to prove the penis acts like a gyroscope of sorts and to be born w/o one seems to doom you to minibike crashes.

it helps having a large smooth area to learn on also,the biggest problem I had with the niece and nephew were getting them to use the brake and not drag there feet to stop,my niece picked up faster on the contolling of throttle but the nephew picked up more throttle the better ,an faster you go.They both learned in the field by the side of the house were I had mowed them some paths to go on.Turned out good so now they get on and go.Still catch them dragging there feet sometimes:shrug:

I think I was 5 years old when I learned how to ride. :thumbsup: I kind of just remember my dad holding the bike up and saying "go". No problems, and I was hooked.:girl: I learned on a home-made mini bike that my dad built. I remember it had old bicycle handel bars, was painted tan, and the engine came from the lawn mower shop down the street. It was a old Briggs, cost $5.00:laugh: That mini bike was stolen :sad: I had a few mini bikes up until 1972 when I got a Honda SL70. That was another story :laugh: I couldn't figure out the clutch to save my life.:laugh::laugh: I did finally get the clutch thing after I burned up a clutch :laugh::laugh:

Good advice oldsalt. I can't remember what all I did to teach my neice and nephew since it's been since about 2007 that they learned to ride. I did go with 2hp briggs engines with the throttle set to only get about half throttle.

Here's my neice riding around my track with me following behind one handed. She had been riding a couple years by then:

Minibike Track - YouTube

Cuurently have a 4 year old that rides in the front of me and will be a terror when she's old enough to ride. She's a real daredevil like my neice was. You can never go fast enough for them and we climb some pretty big hills.