Tec 3.5 Help

Hey OldMiniBikes gang,

Looking for a little help on what I believe to be a Manco Streaker I just picked up for my boy. I've got it stripped down now and wondering the best next steps to see if the Tec 3.5 is worthy of building back up or just scrapping. Pulled off the carb and drained water out, should be dry, what spray with carb cleaner and put back on??? And what would the best replacement engine be so I can get this thing on the trail ASAP? Model on the Engine is H35 5280T (A) 3294B. Should I just try replacing the carb since it looks like it was incomplete when I got it. All the previous owner knew was the clutch was "off" and springs are a'missin! Would the replacement carb # be 632615? And again, how about just a new entry level engine that is under $200?? The old Aluminum, or as others have posted on the internet "Magnesium" rims had a couple cracks in the sprocket bolt threads so putting the sprocket back on would be a JB Weld and fingers-crossed sort of situation i'd guess. My first post so far on OldMiniBikes, hope you all can help. Hope the photos show through... Thanks in advance!

old-timer

Scamming Member
Welcome to OldMiniBikes:thumbsup:
Judging by what I can see in the pic, it looks like the motor is complete minus the intake and carb. You can get a new replacement carb for around $30.00 or you could post on here in the parts wanted section and someone may have a good used one.

Without being able to see your carb, it's hard to say what you need. If your's is complete you may just want to rebuild it :shrug: Rebuild kits for these will run $10.00 - $15.00 and can be bought here at OldMiniBikes Warehouse or just about anywhere.

Or you could go with a Harbor Freight Predator motor for around $100.00
Your choice :thumbsup:

Vic

well to see if the engine is worth getting going you should check for spark. then if you dont have a compression checker you can pull off the head and inspect the cylinder walls if they are scored up or not and clean out the carbon while your in there. sometimes you can reuse the head gasket sometimes not. aftermarket carbs can be had cheap enough there was a discussion on them just recently. I dont know what other engines fit that frame well. For the rear wheel your probrobly right jb weld it and if it doesnt hold up you can always get a new one if it doesnt hold up. If you decide not to use the engine you should sell it dont scrap it.

tec H35

Any chance any of you can tell me what year this H35 is based on the number posted and if there has been anyone share the parts # list at some time? I need to find an air filter cover but have no clue on what part number that is. I've ordered up the carb kit, chain, throttle etc from OMBW so will give a rebuild a shot and keep ya posted. Again, thanks for the help!

Hard to tell what's going on there....looks like somebody bolted a late model shroud to an older motor..possibly even original to the bike...the problem is the motors themselves were never stamped :doah:

so it may not even be an H35.....only way to tell would be to pull the head and measure the bore and stroke.

the shroud is probably from a snow blower.

My guess the shroud is from 1983...294th day whatever that is...

everything looks original to the bike to me.. :shrug: Thats what the motors look like in the 90's and 00's and whatever.. they haven't been white "minibike correct" since god knows when.. Late 70's..

I'm pretty sure it's gonna have the fully adjustable carb if it's the rite one.. I don't think the totally non adjustable ones came out till the 00's when people REALLY started humping trees..

I am fully confident that engine will run just fine with some tinkering... Very little ever goes (WRONG) with a small engine...

Minibike engines get abused.. they are ran without air filters, suck up rocks, ran wide open with no oil, burnt up, beat up...

But they never (die) :shrug:

Plus, from the looks just judging it by it's cover, I can tell it has never been totally abused to death..

The fact that the PCV and WHOLE SIDE of the engine, isn't totally SATURATED in old burnt black oil.. :shrug:

There is no hole, where the connecting rod has exited the engine.. :shrug:

If the engine had been ran beyond it's normal operating speed EVER, it would have sprayed it's self with oil... If the engine was maintained impeccably, for 2,000,000 years.. and is just WORN OUT by lack of ability to last 3,000,000 years...

It would be blowing oil out the PCV due to blow by in the cylinder and valve guides.. :shrug:

I can see inside the intake port and tell you the valves have not even been burnt away that badly yet, as when they get up there in miles, you start seeing carbon buildup in the intake area...

The thing has relatively low mileage and very low abuse.. :mellow:

A little pissing around with it and maybe a carb rebuild kit, maybe :shrug: maybe a spark plug for the hell of it....

I'm willing to bet the engine you already own is better than any chinese engine your gonna buy.... :mellow:

It may be somewhat worn out, plus a bunch of scoring in the cylinder wall.. So maybe ya do a quick valve job on it, and it smokes just a little.. :shrug: But I am sure the engine will run just fine..

no, they turned black way back in the 70's.. They just started using the black, looks just like any other motor, in the 80's.. late 70' into the 80's they started looking like any other motor..

They still have the minibike air filter, and the (more correct looking) rototiller snowblower hookup, but it's just a snowblower motor with a minibike air can on it after a certain time period.. It's a 88 manco, not a 68 Arco.. :shrug:

OH :laugh: I see what ya mean..... :doah:

It looks white cuz that's what aluminum looks like when it's dried and corroded for 14 years..

Great to hear, very encouraging! Epoxied the cracked threads in the rear wheel today and got the sprocket back on and solid. I don't think I'll need to replace the unreplaceable original rims so i'm gonna keep it as original as we got it. Carb kit is ordered allong with new throttle and grips, peg grips, etc. Looking forward to sparking it up late next week! Thanks again!

Well looks like TRK was right ...here's an ad out of one of my old Kart World catalogs:

Tank and Taylor muffler are correct for that bike....you should fix the motor that's on it it will make for a nicer original bike....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks again for the feedback. Any chance on tracking down the original parts list for this bike? I think I have most all of the missing parts ordered but have yet to track down the air filter cover.

I'll keep ya posted on the progress. My OMBW order should arrive later this week so I can get busy on the carb and test the engine!