Tec flywheel ?

are both magneto under flywheel? I put a hs40 lighting system into a magneto hs50 both with small threaded end. The later hs50's were external CDI and have to have a flywheel with external magnet. Taper was fatter and thread was larger diameter.

Answer is yes and no. There are different tapers on the HS engines, related to their use. So they are not always interchangeable.

Threads on the crankshaft end by flywheel is a good way to tell taper. The two mainly used tapers have thread sizes of : 1/2"-20 threads or 7/16"-20

More 5hp's use the larger thread size, but my 72 Speedway GreenHorn (HS50 lighted Tecumseh) had the smaller size. Maybe related to the flywheel for the lights. The HS50 "points" engine I recently took off a snowblower has the larger taper.

Last edited:

markus

More 5hp's use the larger thread size, but my 72 Speedway GreenHorn (HS50 lighted Tecumseh) had the smaller size. Maybe related to the flywheel for the lights. The HS50 "points" engine I recently took off a snowblower has the larger taper.
what year is the larger taper one you have? the Newest year HS I have worked with was a 1978/79 and the taper was still interchanging with all the earlier ones, I actually used a pre-74 HS40 flywheel on it with the round top shroud and backing plate. the taper seemed to change in the earlier 80's and actually went pretty universal throughout all the small frames. I dont know when though, but I did find the later larger taper and crankshaft on a 1984 h35 points engine. knowing the date code of yours may help narrow it down some more.

what year is the larger taper one you have? the Newest year HS I have worked with was a 1978/79 and the taper was still interchanging with all the earlier ones, I actually used a pre-74 HS40 flywheel on it with the round top shroud and backing plate. the taper seemed to change in the earlier 80's and actually went pretty universal throughout all the small frames. I dont know when though, but I did find the later larger taper and crankshaft on a 1984 h35 points engine. knowing the date code of yours may help narrow it down some more.
The snowblower engine is a '83 (fm Sears Craftsman), which is close to the end of the Points engines. I had a '86 snowblower w/HS50 (Noma/Murray) and that has solid state ign. I don't remember that taper on the '86.