Tec gov or linkage problem

After a carb rebuild, I finally got to fire the HS40 on my recently acquired Hustler. Problem is that the carb is held wide open and the gov isn't pulling back after the engine fires. I was able to idle only by holding the carb closed. Can anyone tell from my pics if the linkage looks ok?

Last edited:
It looks like your throttle is pulling the spring at idle. Can you unclamp the cable and slide it down a little. With the throttle at idle position, the gov should pull the throttle arm on the carb a little off the idle screw. It should allow the arm to fall back to the idle screw when you start it. If moving the cable down a little doesn't do it, you may try moving the spring to lower holes on the governor arm. Is that the stock spring?

Last edited:
The throttle ass'y is resting at the bottom-most(idle) position. Its a replacement for the stock throttle, the previous owner had the original all jacked up plus the torsion spring was broke (seems common). I'll try repositioning the spring, I was under the impression that the carb was supposed to be held wide open then immediately pull to idle when the engine started. The spring is the one that came with the new throttle ass'y and I didn't have anything to compare against.

With the engine not running, it should be nearly wide open, but with almost no tension. you should be able to return it to the idle screw with almost no effort. Kind of feels like little more than the weight of the spring is holding it open. Good luck.

I disconnected the spring between the gov. arm and the throttle ass'y. Still tweaking the carb after its rebuild, but was able to get it to idle down fairly well. When I push the gov arm to increase rpm's, I don't feel any resistance from the arm. Should I? Seems on other small engines I've worked on, you could definitely feel the governor trying to pull back on the throttle as its pushed. Make any sense?

Tom.

Check the rod that goes from the govenor to the carb. If there is ANY resistyance or friction at all it wont work properly. Spent alot of time tweaking that rod and carb adjustments on my last bike but finally got it right. Frustrating at times!

First of all.... like someone else mentioned, lower the spring a couple of holes. Next... loosen the screw holding the governor lever to the pivot and rotate it clockwise about 1/16 to 1/8" and tighten it and try again. It may need to be tweaked a couple of time before you get it right. Good Luck! :wink:

Today I took the governor arm off and started the engine. While reving the engine from idle and holding the governor shaft, I couldn't feel it trying to move at all. I figured something had to be wrong inside the engine and removed the engine back. Nothing stood out but when comparing the governor arm with another HS40, it appeared bent. Straightened it out and appears ok, now.

Unfortunately, I looked at the cylinder while the back was off and saw some deep gouges on the valve side of the cylinder. Decided to tear it down and look at having it bored :hammer:

Tom.

My main reason is to keep this bike as stock as possible. I don't want to blow up the original engine if I can help it. Not too opposed to sticking a clone or other on it and beating the heck out of it, tho :thumbsup:

Tom.

I have used that site in the past on my h35. Has just about every conceivable information you need for about every Tec built. Site does load slow but bare with it. Awesome printable info!

Together we stand-Divided we fall. Mini's forever!