Tec HS50 upper fuel tank bracket removal

Sprocket86

Going to be removing the upper fuel tank bracket from my HS50 engine. When doing so, do you reuse the steel spacers that go under the bracket for the head bolts?

I would think you would remove them if not using the engine mounted fuel tank, but then would you need shorter head bolts?

Thanks.

Place the head on the engine and run the bolts down w/o spacers, if they don't bottom out and you can snug them, then you don't need the spacers. If they do, do a parts look up and order the correct length TEC bolts. They come in several sizes so you need to check the lengths of your non-tank bolts.

markus

If it was a remote tank/tankless engine it did not get the spacers from the factory, and yes it would then also need 2 shorter headbolts like the rest of the bolts are around the left/pto side of the head.

for example, this is a factory slanted HS50 engine that has not been opened up/altered..........yet. Fingers crossed it was not used as a dust Vacuum when it was on the bike, will know in a week or so when it arrives :thumbsup:

capguncowboy

If it was a remote tank/tankless engine it did not get the spacers from the factory, and yes it would then also need 2 shorter headbolts like the rest of the bolts are around the left/pto side of the head.

for example, this is a factory slanted HS50 engine that has not been opened up/altered..........yet. Fingers crossed it was not used as a dust Vacuum when it was on the bike, will know in a week or so when it arrives :thumbsup:

Someone is looking for that guard in the "for sale" section -- just thought I'd point you in the that direction

markus

Someone is looking for that guard in the "for sale" section -- just thought I'd point you in the that direction
Yea, when the ebay seller sent me the tracking # for the engine last night he told me someone was looking for the chainguard off it as well. Have to wait and see if it survives shipping and all that before I offer it up, Thank you.

Sprocket86

Thanks markus. I wonder if the bolts are available new still or could I rob them from another engine?

That factory slant mount HS50 is a pretty sweet find and haha, a "dust vacuum" yes no doubt that would be unfortunate to find when you open it up.

It's interesting to see a mount cast into the block for an electric 120v ac starter motor. Did all HS50 have this casting feature?

Sprocket86

Place the head on the engine and run the bolts down w/o spacers, if they don't bottom out and you can snug them, then you don't need the spacers. If they do, do a parts look up and order the correct length TEC bolts. They come in several sizes so you need to check the lengths of your non-tank bolts.
Thanks and I'll probably end up getting some new head bolts.

markus

Thanks markus. I wonder if the bolts are available new still or could I rob them from another engine?

That factory slant mount HS50 is a pretty sweet find and haha, a "dust vacuum" yes no doubt that would be unfortunate to find when you open it up.

It's interesting to see a mount cast into the block for an electric 120v ac starter motor. Did all HS50 have this casting feature?
I don't know the availability of the headbolts from Tecumseh, never tried to order or find any. Will suck if its trashed, but the auction was won for less than visible parts value so its a safe buy even if all its good for is parts. All HS50's did get the mount cast into the block. The very early versions were drilled and tapped by application if sold complete and replacement blocks were drilled and tapped to cover all the versions. In the later 70's and up all of them just got drilled and tapped regardless.

Sprocket86

I don't know the availability of the headbolts from Tecumseh, never tried to order or find any. Will suck if its trashed, but the auction was won for less than visible parts value so its a safe buy even if all its good for is parts. All HS50's did get the mount cast into the block. The very early versions were drilled and tapped by application if sold complete and replacement blocks were drilled and tapped to cover all the versions. In the later 70's and up all of them just got drilled and tapped regardless.
Yeah that's true and you can never have to many Tecumseh parts lol.

That's good to know about the starter mount. I was thinking that my engine would be a dead giveaway that it came from a snowblower lol.