Technical question on 5hp gov.operation

When I got this mini and motor there was no governor linkage with it.When I rebuilt the engine I reinstalled the plastic gear and all the governor parts. The only mods were the bore is .010 over,slight porting and I shaved the eyebrows and put in a raptor rod. The mods for next winter will include a billet rod and flywheel. Since there is no linkage, does this mean the governor is disabled? Or does the plastic gear affect the RPM? I know I'm probably on thin ice with these questions but I'm trying to understand how it works.
Also is it critical to oil the air filter element? I understand what the oil does for the filtering but is it a must? Yes it's flat head oops!

The lever is still there thru the block. Will it still fall off? Or until I get the correct linkage can I wire it one way or the other so it doesn't fall off?

It seems to run fine and is not winding up real high and hasn't come apart yet.
I forgot I'll probably throw in a 94ss cam and billet lifters. I don't think I need to go real fast on something that doesn't have suspension! These little things sure are fun to build and ride!!

Thanks buckeye