Tecumseh for Rupp slant mount

I just picked up a Rupp frame. It has the slant mount for the engine. I have seen the Tecumseh engines with the slant intake but am wondering what other differences are there with the engines for the rupps.
Would a regular Tecumseh 4hp engine with the slanted intake work fine?

Thanks for your help

Phil

I am no expert on Rupps (I own a couple though) but yes the output of the crankshaft is longer than normal to accomidate the original driver clutch.

I have put an original driver on a regular length crankshaft replacement engine and it worked fine for me. You will need the slant intake to level off the fuel bowl though for sure.

jrzmac

I think Rupp had Tecumseh make 3" crankshaft's for them. The engine I put in had a 2 1/2" crank and I have no problems. I also bought a new bolt 1/2" longer than the original. I wouldn't go smaller than 2 1/2" on the crankshaft though!

Actually the 1970 rupps and a few of the early 71's had larson pumper carbs and no angled intake. I switched my 70 over to a slanted intake and tecumseh carb for better performance. I have seen people use a regular intake on the angle, but i never tried it?

toomanytoys

Actually the 1970 rupps and a few of the early 71's had larson pumper carbs and no angled intake. I switched my 70 over to a slanted intake and tecumseh carb for better performance. I have seen people use a regular intake on the angle, but i never tried it?
I have a regular intake on my Blackwidow, and its fine so far.

Like jrzmac said the shorter crank will work fine, you just need to use a longer t/c bolt, the carb will also work fine mounted on a angle, I have quite a few of them mounted that way with no problems.

I have ran my Rupp with a Powersport 4hp engine for 5 years with the standard intake that came on the engine and have never had any problems with it. Runs and starts every time. slant intake would be nice to have just haven't done it yet, I have a slant adt. on the shelf for it. But, I don't fix what ain't broke I quess.:laugh:

jrzmac

Before I found Hamlin57's Intake Adapters, I had the carb slanted the same way. I guess I'm the only one who had a problem with the carb at an angle like that because mine leaked like a bitch! I had a few guys come over that knew about bikes and one of the guys left the carb on the bike and took the bowl off. Then took a skinny flat head screwdriver and opened the tab on the float, so It would drop down at an angle, the same way the carb was. Don't know if this would help, but it seemeed like a good idea! To have the float slanted the same way the carb was!!! Didn't work for me but he got the bike running, it just didn't stop the leak I had. If yours isn't leaking from anywhere, it might help to try it. i'll post a pic of where my man put the screwdriver.

jrzmac

Before I found Hamlin57's Intake Adapters, I had the carb slanted the same way. I guess I'm the only one who had a problem with the carb at an angle like that because mine leaked like a bitch! I had a few guys come over that knew about bikes and one of the guys left the carb on the bike and took the bowl off. Then took a skinny flat head screwdriver and opened the tab on the float, so It would drop down at an angle, the same way the carb was. Don't know if this would help, but it seemeed like a good idea! To have the float slanted the same way the carb was!!! Didn't work for me but he got the bike running, it just didn't stop the leak I had. If yours isn't leaking from anywhere, it might help to try it. i'll post a pic of where my man put the screwdriver.