tecumseh late model primer bowl carb?

markus

I picked up a Sears labeled Tec the other day in a bike/parts buy. its a side popper 3 or 3.5 have not checked the numbers yet. its got one of those primer bulb bowl carbs on it, of course the bulb is rotted and gone.

Normally I have no use for something like this but since period correct Tecs are starting to really fade away maybe I better not leave this thing at the curb :doah: While its dirty from whatever equipment it was originally on, I thin the engine is actually pretty nice, it has the full size tank and mini bike correct air cleaner as well and I have a new style correct bracket in my parts to move the tank to the front and I should have a spare intake for that config as well, so alot of the parts needed I got covered and would make a good engine for a smaller forward peg frame.

So i am wondering about the bulb carb, and how well it works in a mini bike style setup (throttle ability as opposed to mainly "fixed" position throttle) Anyone run them on mini bikes? should spend $ and time to rebuild this carb?

markus

I never used that one, I actually ended up using that entire engine for parts as that was one of those tiny exhaust valve versions engines.

Last year however I picked up a 2000 lil indian with a conventional 3.5 on it that did in fact have one of those carbs on it. It was running when I bought it and other than needing some throttle cable/governor corrections ran fine.

I had to refresh the bike and try to keep the budget at about $100 for parts and still try and make the bike look like something or I would have lost money on it, so carb replacement was not planned unless there were issues when I got the bike back together.

Even with a less restricted air cleaner and a short open stepped pipe installed it started really easy, idled smooth and ramped up really well ( I was actually amazed about that!) Now if I would have had to spend some money on new primer and actual rebuild parts for it I think I would have just went with an adjustable carb over doing that work to it, but I gotta say it really did run fine.

Funny you all mention that carb....the (early 70's) HS 40 on my Bird War Eagle always seemed 'cold natured'...requiring choking...then warming up...then it would run right...well it got to where it just would not pick up gas and run with the original carb....my small engine guy says "I have a replacement carb"...so I let him do it.

I went to pick it up, and it was one of these pump primer carbs, with a less restrictive air filter....and I was immediately concerned.....that is untill I pumped the bulb a few times pulled the starter cord ever so slightly...and she ticked right over....no warmup needed...and will sit there and idle just as pretty as you please as long as you want it to....and then when you get on it, and "get on it"...man it runs better than it ever has !

Whenever this one goes, i'll probably go back to oem....but for now, I am very pleased.

Last edited: