Tecumseh obsolete parts

CarPlayLB

Hello All,
as some of you know, I have gone back to school! My class project involves identifying obsolete, in demand parts, to go into production. This project would involve the sourcing of materials, the cost of production, and the potential sell through. You guys know I am a Briggs guy, but that is because all the parts are available... ALL the time! I like a challenge, so I chose Tec parts!
What specific Tecumseh parts do you feel are the most sought after, hard to find parts?

I am not looking for all minibike specific stuff. Product that crosses over genres to maximize the effort and expense, with a greater potential sell through!

we need to be realistic about the sell through potential! That would be very expensive to produce, thus limiting the potential sell through
I understand expensive to produce but they normally don't last long on fleabay and seem to sell for pretty good price. Besides the lighted flywheel (i can't see being any cheaper) I don't know any real parts hard to come by. The factory slanted intakes do go for a pretty penny for the numbers matching guys but people make them in you don't have to have original looking easy enough. Other than that the parts I can think of might be for a tec but more mini bike model specific.

1stBxMopar

Eric, how about a Tecumseh tool? Such as the sought after Tecumseh dial indicator part #670241 for timing Tecumseh engines.
After looking for one of the Tecumseh originals, I became impatient, so I put this together. First I located an engine timing adapter from a go kart shop to screw into the head to hold a 2 inch dial indicator. next I searched for a extension tip-(foot) that would put me over the piston. Ironically. the tip had a Tecumseh part number when I found it on ebay. Last thing I did was put a small nut on the threaded shaft of the tip, so I could tighten down the tip in the correct index position over the piston.
It can all be put together for under a $100. Probably a little less than an original, and with this tip better reach.
I just finished timing an early H30 and it works perfect. Here's mine and an original.....

Attachments

I need a Tec HS40 vin tag.....aluminum...with the correct numbers stamped in....:hammer: The ones on Ebay....go for way to much $$$$. I would like that polished out to please !:thumbsup:

pomfish

The small oval air cleaner that they made instead of the big round one. The oval one helps with clearance issues.
That may be a cheap build.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
The Taylor muffler itself As pictured by OND

Just the Muffler with threaded nipple OR with a wieldable spud end, offer the two types.

Remember the spark arrestor screen.

If Affordable, it would work on a wide range of small engine equipment, not just mini bikes and karts.

Last edited:
That was me on the Tech small and big block throttle assemblies. Still can make them as well.

For this thread... How about 13 tooth clutch drums.

All of the Tecumseh rings have too much gap. I measured a .003 over on the bore, got some original bore rings, and all were over .017. The only reason for a stock bore ring set is if you have a brand new engine, and even then I bet it's close.

So OS rings would be something worth having, as well as seals for the H and HS models. Any part listed as a consumable for the more popular engines would be a good thing to have more of. Those parts are getting rare.

Also agree with mini bike throttle specific, rivet on units.

I don't think I've ever had a need for a slant intake, and definitely never needed a kick starter. When you cant rebuild an original engine because you cant get parts, that's where the shit is.

How about H and HS valves?

It seems to be feast of famine on these parts. I just waited 15 days for a PTO seal for the smaller H. PN 30256. Currently there are a couple of them on ebay, but when I needed one, there was one available and the USPS got me good on that.