The Big Bully

toomanytoys

Glad to see good old OldMiniBikes hasn't changed. I stopped coming here a good while ago because I was tired of the arguing...seems like the same is still happening.

If you want to talk lifetime memberships then it should be based on a ten year cost of yearly membership. Like Randy said. Inflation is inevitable and while $100 or $125 sounds like a lot, it truly is no help above the yearly fee.

Think about how quickly everyone that is a long time member here would throw out $100 for effectively 4 years of membership that last forever. I would do it today and would not even consider that the fact of the matter is LIFE happens and we all move on to different things.

Base it on a 10 year cost and it would be worth the trouble to Hent to offer it as an option to the yearly membership.

Most people are coming to look for "help". "I need a......" "What is this"? "Where can I find this"? "How do I fix this"?

If there was a spread sheet that displayed how many people sign on. Ask a question. Get an answer. And then disappear. It would probably amaze everyone of us.

The next thing that spread sheet would show you is how many are here for a year or less.

Then the next thing that spread sheet would show is how many members have been here for most of the lifespan of this forum. (I pay attention to your join date) And what percentage of those are active members.

I think that the serious enthusiast would join and spend some time to see what this sight is all about. Hang around. Ask a few questions or answer a question or 2. And once they learn what a supporting membership is they would join for a year. Maybe the second year they would then get onboard for the lifetime deal.

I have been here a little over a year and I have noticed quit a few folks show up and the long time members spend a lot of time trying to help them. Answering questions and giving advice. Only to see them never say "thanks" and then just disappear... Poof their gone.

And then there are the "askholes" that want to argue that what you said was wrong when they asked the question and you gave the correct or best solution answer. They are always fun...

This forum is just like the Interstate. You want to be the idiot that drives the speed limit in the left lane, then that is YOUR choice. I don't have to follow you. That is why there is more than one lane. Go around them. Pass them by and go on with life. That is MY choice.

I have learned so much on this forum that I cant thank all the people that I have read tidbits of information they gave freely in threads that set off a light bulb that said WOW why didn't I think of doing it that way.

I also have to say that I didn't even realize that there was a "supporting membership" when I joined. The first friend I made on this site was OND. Eric and I were discussing him building me a Savage SSC frame and we agreed on a price. When it was done he sold it to me at a lower price under the condition that I become a supporting member. Second best move I have made on this forum. Becoming friends with Eric being the first. Thanks my friend [MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION].

Drew I have to say keep on keeping on. You surely are not doing any of this wrong. Hats off to you and yours for your time, trouble and effort. Its yours and all I can say about it is if it were mine and I had had enough of something or someone I would put an end to it and move forward just like you have done. Life is to short to follow the left lane bandit on the Interstate and grumble all the way...

That is all,

Doug

Last edited:
[MENTION=1]Hent[/MENTION] You should have a posting area called the "Bitching Post" for any thread like this one to be moved to or started there.

Just a thought.....

Doug

Since im not currently banned i guess for now on ill just sit in the back row and look from a far.
I guess constructive criticism doesnt go over well here.coulda just told me it is the way it is too bad. But you wanted imput and i gave it to you . instead got bent out of shape like a high speed fork.
Telling me you dont like me anymore and not to rejoin and refunding me gets your point across that this is your sand box and if you dont like it play somewhere else. But not really pertaining to the situation. Giving me the boot for speaking is not needed.

I have not been the most active member here. I originally joined as one of the typical "askholes" when I was building my first bike. Then I moved away to college and got rid of my mini. After buying my first house last summer I got a new mini and decided it was time to reactivate my account. Now that I've grown up some I can fully grasp what is here and truly understand the community aspect of it. I don't know what the site was like in the beginning but I have been enjoying every minute of being back. I would like to thank drew for hosting the site and to everyone else who helps make it pleasant to be here. Like many have stated before the information here is invaluable. My favorite part of the site (even while I was inactive) has been the build-offs - endless inspiration. Right now any extra mini bike money is being consumed by parts + shipping + exchange but once the build off is done I fully plan on becoming a supporting member. I do try to buy from OldMiniBikes when I can to show my appreciation, for what it's worth.

Since im not currently banned i guess for now on ill just sit in the back row and look from a far.
I guess constructive criticism doesnt go over well here.coulda just told me it is the way it is too bad. But you wanted imput and i gave it to you . instead got bent out of shape like a high speed fork.
Telling me you dont like me anymore and not to rejoin and refunding me gets your point across that this is your sand box and if you dont like it play somewhere else. But not really pertaining to the situation. Giving me the boot for speaking is not needed.
Now you're getting it...it is his sandbox, and a damn nice one at that...I appreciate this sandbox..It's no different than when when I was a kid with my own little sandbox in the back yard.. When the idiot kid from the next block over would come over and be an ass while we were playing in there, he got told to go home...Well no different here I guess...If Drew told ya that he doesn't want you in his sand box well I guess he meant it. That's a not so subtle hint to put thou's head down and behave, have fun, and quit bitchin...or leave...

Hent

Since were just spitballin ideas here and this is an informative post nothing i post should get your nipples up in a twist.
If i really wanted a shirt i would just buy one.
Giving the option to pay more with a little incentive would pay off the shirt and decal is free advertising. Being able to pay once and not worry about it is what most would do. And considering lots of forum members get real into minibikes then disapear the return would be in the sites favor.
If I had larger payment options, it would absolutely be more beneficial to the site. I could also have recurring payment options, which I don't offer. People change hobbies, financial situations change and I wouldn't put that burden on someone over an OPTIONAL membership. Everyone can post their photos and videos from anywhere. The real benefit of being a Supporting Member here is something that you don't understand and that's why I'm using you as an example.

As for a lifetime membership you could do a year for 25 and a lifetime membership for 125 or in that area with a t shirt and stickers. People love stickers. Its not really the 25 bucks but the action of having to renew. Lifers will gladly pay the money up front. Just having the option is nice.
I would guess for some poeple also they buy tons of parts from you and then there like this guys gonna bang me for 25 bucks too for his website. Most forums arent attached to a buisness people probebly also feel like im just paying him 25 bucks and its going in his pocket.
Websites cost money and time of which you put in and do a fantastic job but from the outside looking in the forumn kinda looks like its there to make a couple extra bucks.
The action of renewal is very easy. Show me other forums you visit, and I can show you who truly owns/manages them, typically companies much larger than me. Those same people have approached and asked to purchase this forum.

This forum happened to turn hobby to business. I don't bang or beg anyone for $25. It's totally optional, and many requests have been made that I make the buttons larger and easier to find.

Forum started 2006. Warehouse 2010. Don't you think after 11 years I would have had this $25 "pocket filler" figured out? I certainly have figured out many other things in life.

Constructive criticism is the best. It's what I asked for, and what I'm getting - you're part of it. You wouldn't get banned for it. Your membership was up today (check your paypal statements). You got a free full year of being a Supporting Member. I felt after all of your comments that you didn't feel it was worth it, so I gave you a refund. "from the outside looking in".

People buy parts from my company optionally. People purchase supporting memberships optionally. It's not required.

This is my sandbox, I could take my ball and go home, but I don't. My goal is to make this place better, and I personally haven't done my share recently because of my own reasons, but more importantly, people like you who make it difficult for me to maintain interest.

I prefer earned and contributing members. Those members are the ones who make the site worth visiting, not because they were able to pay $25, but because they can reply with help, with thoughtful answers, lived the life, have another talent or interest worth sharing.

You are a prime example of why I don't push the Supporting Memberships. You were a paid member with demand and unreasonable thoughts about the forum and warehouse. Look at what the OldMiniBikes community has done for the Mini Bike world (not me, I just provided a place for it to happen).

Did you receive $25 of education over the last year?

catfishman

for myself, i am very greatful for this website, the way it is run, the mods, and most memebers. i do not post that often, but i stay logged on. at first i was like alot on here, a grown adult that never had a minibike as a kid, i have bought and sold a few in the past, now i do not own any vintage ones anymore, just a couple of doodlebugs. but this forum has led me to get into the minicycle world, and i purchased my 1974 honda ct70 last year. thanks for all you do Hent and Vicki.

Love this site and you fellows are friendly.Just putting up with me is worth supporting the small membership "fee" :laugh: you have proved to me to be genuinely nice people that would be honored to spend time with you here..been rough lately,a few bumps..I'm good now.just life shifting gears:smile:

MikeBear

[MENTION=1]Hent[/MENTION] You should have a posting area called the "Bitching Post" for any thread like this one to be moved to or started there.

Just a thought.....

Doug
I know a couple forums that have a special area called: "Shitpost Graveyard". That's reserved for making certain special call-out posts INFAMOUS, lol. People can't start posts there, but MODS can move them there for others to know where to go to read and mock...

Might be good to set that up here.

i just saw this thread.

so bike buddy wanted hent to subsidize his cost of doing business???

how does bike buddy get his pants on with balls that big expecting
OldMiniBikes to float his ass?

:hammer:

I know I'm new here, and as such really don't have any right to post in this thread. However..
I found this site quite by accident, and am glad I did. At the moment, I am laid up and haven't been able to work since Feb. and don't draw a check, or unemployment etc. I do however PLAN on becoming a SUPPORTING MEMBER (the best laid plans of mice and men....and all that)
I have already in my short time here learned a ton. I am available for two stroke post une info and pipe building tech anytime. Since I can't afford to financially support, I hope my information will abide fora while.
If you (or I ) are making your living by selling on his site, then dangit become a vendor. If ts just a little at least donate a percentage. This forum will never host or moderate itself, as it will never be free for Hent to use his rented server space. 25$ a year is nothing for the amount of knowledge found here. Let alone the people and friends to make. I am cheap, anyone that knows me would attest to that, but will happily pay 25$ a year as soon as I get to work again. It might be a while so maybe I pay 50$ instead, but IT IS MONEY WELL SPENT/INVESTED. It is an investment, and it's a sure pay off in knowledge. Just my2¢ And like I said, I'm new so who cares.

New or old member, doesn't matter. Everyone has a right to post in all threads.

You may be cheap, and people may know that. I don't.

However, people that know me would know that posting relevant information and donating back to the forum in that way, is equal to or more than paying for a Supporting Membership. Community effort and contribution.

This is why I've considered changing the membership badges, and having earned/contributing/donating/lifetime members, etc. There are people here who can't pay it, and that's understandable. It's optional. If you're making money from the site often, it's a different story.

I certainly appreciate your comments :thumbsup:

I know I'm new here, and as such really don't have any right to post in this thread. However..
I found this site quite by accident, and am glad I did. At the moment, I am laid up and haven't been able to work since Feb. and don't draw a check, or unemployment etc. I do however PLAN on becoming a SUPPORTING MEMBER (the best laid plans of mice and men....and all that)
I have already in my short time here learned a ton. I am available for two stroke post une info and pipe building tech anytime. Since I can't afford to financially support, I hope my information will abide fora while.
If you (or I ) are making your living by selling on his site, then dangit become a vendor. If ts just a little at least donate a percentage. This forum will never host or moderate itself, as it will never be free for Hent to use his rented server space. 25$ a year is nothing for the amount of knowledge found here. Let alone the people and friends to make. I am cheap, anyone that knows me would attest to that, but will happily pay 25$ a year as soon as I get to work again. It might be a while so maybe I pay 50$ instead, but IT IS MONEY WELL SPENT/INVESTED. It is an investment, and it's a sure pay off in knowledge. Just my2¢ And like I said, I'm new so who cares.