The coolest minibike ever! Lil' Petro

I'm posting this on my Fathers behalf. He just got a Lil' Petro! I had no idea how small they are, until I actually seen it. Wow. This is officially my favorite out of his collection! I placed a bill by it for scale! It's just sitting there mocked up for now. He has it sitting by his TV so he can sit and watch it. Rumor has it that there is less then 10 none to exist? I really don't know about that but it is certainly the neatest I've seen yet. If anyone has any info you can let him know. He is wayne on the OldMiniBikes.com
:scooter:

The pic is horrible. I'll have to get it outside the next time I'm up at his place to get some better photo's.

Smallbore

I'm posting this on my Fathers behalf. He just got a Lil' Petro! I had no idea how small they are, until I actually seen it. Wow. This is officially my favorite out of his collection! I placed a bill by it for scale! It's just sitting there mocked up for now. He has it sitting by his TV so he can sit and watch it. Rumor has it that there is less then 10 none to exist? I really don't know about that but it is certainly the neatest I've seen yet. If anyone has any info you can let him know. He is wayne on the OldMiniBikes.com
:scooter:

The pic is horrible. I'll have to get it outside the next time I'm up at his place to get some better photo's.
WOW ! I must be one of the 10 !! hehehe....I have one that needs a full restoration. Some clown cut off the footpeg/safty bar things at the bottom but thats an easy fix. It came with 2 used engines and i have a Brand New nos O&R engine on the shelf when i get to this project. Here`s a photo of it next to an even rarer bike. The yellow one is called a "Tiny Tim" made in So. California in 1972 Uses a Kioritz Corp. (pre Echo) engine. As you can see, i have 2 of these ! :wink:

It came with 2 used engines and i have a Brand New nos O&R engine on the shelf when i get to this project.
The O&R engines are a side show all there own. Between my Dad and Brother they have a bunch of them. Hedge Trimmers, generators, my brother has a 1/2 drill that's powered by one. They just don't build cool stuff like that any more. My Dad sends me stuff all the time saying, "I Had That" or your "Grandfather Had That" There is just something cool about having to "fire-up" your blender. My opinion is that greatest inventions followed wwII. I missed that era.

Smallbore

It came with 2 used engines and i have a Brand New nos O&R engine on the shelf when i get to this project.
The O&R engines are a side show all there own. Between my Dad and Brother they have a bunch of them. Hedge Trimmers, generators, my brother has a 1/2 drill that's powered by one. They just don't build cool stuff like that any more. My Dad sends me stuff all the time saying, "I Had That" or your "Grandfather Had That" There is just something cool about having to "fire-up" your blender. My opinion is that greatest inventions followed wwII. I missed that era.
Ahh... Just wait till i build the greatest invention SINCE WWII. hehe... Baby Double Trouble ! Im going to clone the Tiny Tim frame and use 2 O&R .85hp engines. Already have the wheels, engines, and fuel tank, and i just bought the 3/4" tube on Monday. The Petro is 5/8" tube and has to be the smallest one around, but the Tiny Tim aint a whole lot bigger :wink:

I had a new Olsen & Rice engine that was given to me by one of my customer who worked for the factory for 25 years. They also made a gas powered winch used for hunters to retrieve heavy game out of canyons and to winch them up for skinning and field butchering. Like a nut I gave it away to a guy into powered skate boards a move that I now regret.
Steve :scooter:

delray

randyk72@verizon,are the tires solid rubber or air? they look solid. i have seen guys selling new old stock tire/rim for old vintage lawnmowers. they look like the same design rim.
:scooter:...........cool little mini-minibike:thumbsup:

Wow. You guys have beautiful little petro's! Dad will get his into shape. Are any of you guy's the one working with him on a motor mount? Either way if you can help him with this please do so. His email is wne1963@aol.com He can call you or whatever. He needs a few pieces for it. I do know that he wants to have it complete. Thanks in advance.

Randy :scooter:

IM LOOKING TO RESTORE ANOTHER ONE OF THESE LITTLE PETRO'S IN THE NEAR FUTURE IN A RED COLOR WHICH WAS THE OTHER COLOR OPTION TO THE BLUE.IF ANYONE HAS ONE IN ANY CONDITION THAT THEY MAY WANT TO SELL,I WOULD DEFINATELY BE INTERESTED.ALSO,AT ANYTIME IF ANYONE NEEDS HELP IN THE RESTORATION IN ANY WAY,PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME.I AM IN CONTACT ON A REGULAR BASIS WITH THE ORIGINAL MAKER OF THIS BIKE,A GREAT PERSON,JIM ODOM.WE BOTH ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING THE SEATS AND CHAIN GUARDS FOR THESE BIKES USEING A VACUFORM PROCESS JUST AS THE ORIGINALS WERE MADE. ALSO,IN THIS PROCESS,WE ARE USEING THE ORIGINAL PARTS TO MAKE THE MOLDS,SO THEY WILL BASICALLY BE IDENTICLE TO THE ORIGINAL SEATS AND CHAIN GUARDS!!.I AM INCLUDING A PIC OF THE CHAIN GUARD MOLD THAT WILL BE USED IN THE ABOVE PROCESS!!:smile::smile::scooter:

Smallbore

Hey MINI-MATIC I was going to hand lay some fiberglass for the seat and chainguard, but if your going to make some please let me know when their available. Are the graphics silk screened or sticker/decal ? Do you have any sorce for U.S. tires. I have`nt looked too hard yet but so far all i see is the chinese garbage. And how`s Jim doing ? is he still in the East Los Angeles / El Monte area ? :confused: A red Petro sold a few weeks ago with 3 engines in a box for $338.00 :thumbsup:

MINI-MATIC

Hi smallbore,we will have the seats available as soon as I send the molds to Jim Odom.The bike I have is as of now,has the only known surviving seat and guard to make the molds from.Jim has agreed to make the actual seats and guards.This way you can say that these items are original in a since,just made about 45 years later then the last ones!!.All the original molds were destroyed,so this is by far,the next best thing!!.I have a source to possibly have the decals silkscreened,but prior to this source,I had the decals made up on a machine that has a stylus that operates through a computer copying process.This stylus cuts out the decal.The decal has a pressure sensative backing and is actually made up of pieces.If you can picture this,the blue area is the decal and anything that is white is actually the chainguard.There is no white or clear backing area on the decal.I hope this isn't too confuseing.In speaking with Jim Odom,who has seen this decal in person,he agrees that this decal looks great! and wouldn't change a thing with it!.So up til now,if it looks good to Jim,it's fine with me.As far as the tires go,most of the original wheel assemblies are shot as far as the bearings and tires go_On Jim Odoms bike I made up for him,I used the currently made wheels that are very simular to the originals being solid rubber,same diameter,and the simular rim design and have the same amount of tread grooves.I modify these wheels to work on the bike.I first get rid of the garbage wheel barrel bearings.Believe it or not though,this is the same style bearing idea that was used in the original wheels,not precision.I then machined a new rear wheel hub assembly that fits into the rear wheel,this in return is offset and then has a Identicle to the original ,sprocket tig welded to this hub,then this whole assembly is welded into the rear wheel assembly.Both the front and rear wheels are then fitted with precision sealed bearings,with the front being a 3/8 axle bearing and the rear being a 1/2 bearing.This is alot of work,but its the next best thing thing to having new original wheels which do not exhist!.I have to date made a few sets of these for people for a straight up trade for there original wheels in any condition!.I hope to some day soon find a way to have some tires remolded as the originals, to fit these rims,then make up new hub assemblies,as the original ones are not restorable,then offer this small inventory to the small following of the people that really love these bikes and want them as close to original as possible.Jim Odom will recieve the first set though,free of charge,as he is the person that made these bikes possible.Jim is currently living in Santa Rosa California with his wife Coleen who has seen and supported him through all his Manufacturing projects from the past including the Little Petro.Jim also made many other items back in the 60's including drills,augers,chain saws,circular saws and more,all under the company name PETRO POWERED PRODUCTS.Interestingly,all these products used the small Ohlsson & Rice motor!.Jim,also was involved in many other engineering projects during his career,including the Quarter Horse Mini Bike!.:scooter::scooter::smile: