The Firehawk gets a new life

Fomogo so if i get that Torque Converter i wont have the issue with the chain anymore?

It almost sounds like the engine is not in line with your comment about the chain rubbing the clutch.

The tab that sticks up from the engine plate is the mount for the factory jackshaft. That would be the location of the drive sprocket for the rear chain. There would be a second chain that runs from there to the clutch. The engine valve cover looks like it is almost hitting the frame upright. For starters I would be looking at the engine and make sure that it is square to the frame/chain.

No matter what you run the chain wont stay on if the engine isn't square.

The torque converter will make the bike much easier to ride. Less strain to get the bike rolling.

Doug

Ok so here is how she site now if you look at the clutch you can see the rub patterns from when i throttle hard.

With the engine bolted firmly and the wheel being tight i have it set with very little slack in the chain just so it isnt overly tight.

As you can see from the rear views the sprocket and clucth line up but the chain has a slight "sway" to it.

Second pic looks like to me that the engine is to far to the left or the rear wheel needs to angle more to the left..through the rear wheel axle adjustments..not for sure just saying.

Second pic looks like to me that the engine is to far to the left or the rear wheel needs to angle more to the left..through the rear wheel axle adjustments..not for sure just saying.
Good eye man ill get in there monday and measure it all and see if i can make any perfect adjusting

Good eye man ill get in there monday and measure it all and see if i can make any perfect adjusting

When you don't use the jackshaft setup you have to flip the clutch with the teeth inward. That is the FIRST thing to do then line up the rear wheel. Assuming that you just bolted the engine down in the factory slots.

Doug

Ok Fomogo ill be order the torque converter tomorrow, After messing with it some more the last 2 days i pretty much have the chain near perfectly straight with the clutch flipped inside out. BUTTTTTT i still have the issue and what im actually thinking is causing the issue is the clutch itself. When riding the bike i was watching the chain line and nothing shifted but the clutch was still making the same sound and vibration so i think the gear ratio wont work at all for the clutch.

From this pic you can see a bow in the chain, while I would go with a TAV you may need to space the rear wheel to the right a little too :thumbsup: If you cant do that then you might want one of those DB30 adjustable motor mounts :thumbsup:

THANKS OldMiniBikes torque converter came in today ill be putting her on and doing adjustments tomorrow morning. So this big bike has a hard time stopping, I know it needs a set of new pads. I was suggested to go with the EBC Grooved Brake pads but im not sure what ones to get. when i measure the pads do i measure the inner diameter of the brake hub on the wheel or measure the pads themselves?

Last edited:
THANKS OldMiniBikes torque converter came in today ill be putting her on and doing adjustments tomorrow morning. So this big bike has a hard time stopping, I know it needs a set of new pads. I was suggested to go with the EBC Grooved Brake pads but im not sure what ones to get. when i measure the pads do i measure the inner diameter of the brake hub on the wheel or measure the pads themselves?
Here is a link to the correct shoes.

EBC Grooved Brake Shoes Rear fits Honda CT125 Trail 125 1977 | eBay

Doug

You can also get the shoes off of amazon for a few buck cheaper if you happen to have prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00666NIT2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the EBC 304G for anybody that wants to do a search. Thanks to [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] I picked up a couple of sets a few weeks ago and have installed on my CT200u and another set for the MB200-2 (not yet installed). The springs install differently, kind of making an "X" - took me a bit to figure it out thinking I had received two of the same shoes instead of a pair (you will see what I mean).

Last edited:
You can also get the shoes off of amazon for a few buck cheaper if you happen to have prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00666NIT2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the EBC 304G for anybody that wants to do a search. Thanks to [MENTION=53722]FOMOGO[/MENTION] I picked up a couple of sets a few weeks ago and have installed on my CT200u and another set for the MB200-2 (not yet installed). The springs install differently, kind of making an "X" - took me a bit to figure it out thinking I had received two of the same shoes instead of a pair (you will see what I mean).
Thanks guys i ordered them Sunday and they were here Tuesday, they went right in with no issues at all and due to the rain i couldn't take it out and ride but i did do a few tests while the bike was on the stand and it didnt seam to have issues stopping the wheel at all.

Valocalrep

Ok so little update because ive been slacking, Bike has been fully assembled and i took her out and put some miles in. Tav and brakes worked amazingly i wanna thank everyone for the help and suggestions on those. Brake pads went in like a breeze and the bike now stops much better. I fiddled around and threw a pipe together for her and here is how she sat last week.

Next parts to get ordered will be air filter adapter and cab jets. But for now she is broken back down and being pepped for paint.

I have a scheme in mind and im hoping it comes out well but for now im keeping it under wraps till i see the outcome and if im happy then ill share lol. For now tho the frame is stripped raw took about 5 hours yesterday with a wire wheel and some aircraft paint remover.

today i started stripping the forks but couldnt finish due to weather but ill be right back at her tomorrow before work. I have a car show in November that i would love to put the bike in so thats my goal but i want her done in the next week or 2 so i can get some nice summer riding in too.