The new Rupp

markus

Just brought this one home tonight. Its a '72 roadster 2 and its got the black widow Dellorto (my favorite part of the bike) and BW exhuast too.

Overall its in not bad shape its very dirty and the tans is pretty beat, but the frame is nice and not dinged the motor looks great BUT piston is seized and that cool carb needs work and possibly parts but it was pretty decent price and it was local.

he says he has a new TQ cover somewhere in his garage along with some other stuff hes gonna look for for me, hopefully he will find it as that will definitly save me a few pesos.

I guess I will be tackling the motor first and crossing my fingers thats its not seriously buggered, He stored without oil or fuel for may years said it was fine when he did that so hopefully it will go smoothly

Last edited:
That Rupp is worth doing a lot of work to make it right. The Rupp were the best of the late mini bikes just before the market went to the Mini-cycle craze
Good luck with your restoration . Steve

Get some oil down that spark plug hole, if you're going to save the motor just a little oil over night might free up that piston, work the flywheel back and forth, it might just break free, if it wasn't sieze while it was hot!
dave

markus

Got some oil in the motor, letting it ferment for awhile:smile: Anyone know about these Dellorto's? bummer is the Previous owner somehow shoved the choke slide/gate in backwards which 1 wedged it 2 broke it :sadcrying4: Dunno if I can live without it or not? Guess that will depend on how finicky they are.

Also need a rebuild kit for it. I have it apart and in the carb clean tank, I can probably reuse whats there, although it got pretty crusty so if a kits available that would be sweet.

the more I look I think I am going to redo it as a "black widow" since I already have the makings. I'm half temped to make it sort of a cafe racer look though. Its missing the headlight, Rupp used that butt ugly square shell on these, and actually the black widow did not even have a headlight, but If I can legalize this sucker I will, so I was thinking a round headlight with a small cafe fairing and some straight bars???? I don't think I could do a good frame stretch here in my garage but I could possibly do a swing arm stretch, and it would be reversible, much like the headlight/bars would so no real permanant damage for the "stock Nazi's". Am I sounding like a loon?

That would be a great canidate for a black widow build. They are actually cheaper to fix up than a roadster 2 and finding a "decent" Square style headlight bucket is expensive! I would keep it stock as possible if your going to do the black widow idea. and you already have the 2 key parts - Carb and pipe.

The Roadster 2 did have a Dellorto and a straight pipe over the counter accessory. With them on a Roadster 2 you get the best of both worlds.....speed/sound of a Blackwidow and lights of the Roadster 2.

The Dellortos are quite simple with VERY little to go wrong with them. The engine being stuck isn't a major problem either. You need to go through the motor and do it properly....if you short cut it, it won't last with that carb.
I stock anything you may need for the carb, engine or bike. I'd be happy to help with anything you may need, even if just advice/tech support
RuppParts@aol.com