TheRedlineBoss- Anything Goes build 2016 - Pocketbike Crossbreed

So, I've been spending some quality time with the welder and have been making some progress! The welds need...cleanup, but I think it'll be a sturdy bike when done. Welded the inner sleeves on the top bar and rear upper supports & trimmed the new engine plate. Not too much to look at yet, but it's coming along.

-Rob

I am starting to believe.
As am I! As of tonight, the frame has officially transformed from that of a pocketbike & into a minibike:

It doesn't look much different from my last post, but it is a single piece now. I think the next step is to start test fitting everything. :thumbsup:

-Rob

Last edited:

Mocking up again - the shock will be a bit shorter than the temporary conduit & I'm thinking this will really need some standard handlebars.

-Rob

Last edited:
I like it and I agree, a different set of bars would really change the look. I'll admit I wasn't sold on this idea in the beginning but you have done a great job and it's turning into a pretty cool bike.

Thanks everyone! When I saw this bike on Craigslist, I figured that it'd be a pretty cool minibike if I "un-crushed" the top bars. :laugh:

Progress has slowed a bit on it, as I am waiting on the handlebar risers and shock. While waiting, I have been chipping away at some of the less glamorous tasks:
- Grinding off more of the old welds and smoothing my own
- Adding the seat mounting points
- Adding in triangular reinforcements to the head tube
- Pulling off the rear sprocket (need one for a 35 chain)

Next major step is to get the jackshaft mounted. Once that's set, I can move to assemble the bike & make it functional. :scooter:

-Rob

Well, I used the last of my first spool of wire to tack in the jackshaft mounts. And since the new shock & handlebar risers arrived, I figured it was time for another pic. Bad lighting on this one, but you should get the idea of how it's going to look:

I'm going to see if I can find some nicer handlebars, as these ones don't fit the risers too well. Also, a smaller sprocket is on order.

-Rob

It's been a while since the last update, since I had some stuff going on (winter campout & a boy scout project involving refurbishing bikes) and was waiting for some pieces to arrive. Here is how it looks now:

At the moment, it looks like almost everything is going to fit pretty dang well, the main exception being the stock muffler:

As you can see, it's pointing directly into the frame. Definitely not a show stopper, but I'll have to do something about it.

-Rob

Looking good:thumbsup:---I made a mock up of the exhausts for my Ruttman and ARCO using pvc conduit and a pvc blank cover plate. A little cement and some couplings and you can play with different orientations for less than 5 bucks. Once I had 'em figured out, I shipped the mock-ups to David Wulf and he made 'em up. If you've got access to a tubing bender, you can do it yourself.

Just a very quick update- I have been sidetracked by my brother's Eagle Project, wherein we are rebuilding a batch of bicycles for kids. Project is nearing an end though, so I should be able to make meaningful progress again pretty soon.

-Rob