think i damaged the billet flywheel

You can probably punch the old key out of the crank but I ahve some reservations about the flywheel.

How did this happen?

Best way to avoid key issues with ARC flywheels is to lap the flywheel to the shaft and run with no key.

Some use a dab of medium strength wicking grading loctite.
I find they hold just fine without it.

Motra

It looks like the flywheel spun on the crank. If the bore was damaged it probably won't be true so it'll wobble and be off balance. I wouldn't use it.

MB165

Wow that sucks.:sad: I wouldnt use it either. What was the engine doing when it let loose?
Ensure the crank is clean and free of any burrs or zits and be sure to torque the new one and recheck a few times afterwards.

You can probably punch the old key out of the crank but I ahve some reservations about the flywheel.

How did this happen?

Best way to avoid key issues with ARC flywheels is to lap the flywheel to the shaft and run with no key.

Some use a dab of medium strength wicking grading loctite.
I find they hold just fine without it.
Still would like to hear what happend.
Hey Kikko....I would shy away from answering any post from this person(?). They (It) reminds me of another member that used to type rambling posts. Blah-bla- blah bla-blah bla-blah-bla. On top of that....neither can spell worth a darn, so you have to be curious. Good luck with your repair.

Last edited:
Badtac:
Is your monthly vissitor here again?

So for anyone that may have missed this information.
I am the member formerly known as Oldschool. The name has changed but I can still butcher the English language as well as ever and tells stories that do not go anyplace.

Perhaps you would be so inclined to share the great and wonderful wisdom.
Pray tell what would cause said flywheel key from sheareth with such malevolent force and cause such grievous harm to doth flywheel and shaft.
And oh great and wise Mrs. Badtac how can we preventith such mortifying destruction from happening again....

Badtac:
Is your monthly vissitor here again? And oh great and wise Mrs. Badtac how can we preventith such mortifying destruction from happening again....
Whoops, I forgot to add the :wink:, or the :smile:, or the :confused1:, or the LOL, etcetra, etcetra. Whoops, I feel a forgetful spell coming on again. Some-timers kickin' in, I guess.

I was taking it off and it looks like I damaged some of the keway and put a few dings on it can I still use it?
Kiko, Your post says "I was taking it off and it looks like I damaged some of the keyway". Did the damage occur as you were taking the flywheel off or did it occur while the motor was running. With the damage that's been done to your flywheel you run a very high chance of developing a fatigue crack or fracture and your flywheel flying apart. I'm probably going to get in the middle of a pissing contest but my advice is to get another flywheel and USE A KEY. They don't waste time and money machining keyways into the shaft and flywheels because they look pretty. They're there for a reason. Ogy

I couldn't imagine not using a key. I have read that it is possible but, I wouldn't.
With an ARC flywheel and too a lesser extent the Honda GXV if you gently lap the parts together there is enough of a friction fit that a key is realy not needed.

AS I recall Tom Cole did a video on kartrax where he shows the lapping and he also scores his shaft a wee bit for extra friction

Have an issue with these pages causing trouble but there is a video on laping flyhweels and keys/
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/karttrax/videos

Last edited: