Think I got a good deal today..

Well, I got a bike out of our local paper for 50.00 today. It is what appears to be a Rupp Speedway 2? It is in rough shape but most of it is there. It came with a non correct motor, a ohc tecumseh 5.0 hp. The bike is missing the gas tank, seat cushion, and brake setup. I will post picks tonight, let me know what you think of the price.

Kelly

Well, I got a bike out of our local paper for 50.00 today. It is what appears to be a Rupp Speedway 2? It is in rough shape but most of it is there. It came with a non correct motor, a ohc tecumseh 5.0 hp. The bike is missing the gas tank, seat cushion, and brake setup. I will post picks tonight, let me know what you think of the price.

Kelly
That should say Rupp Roadster 2, for some reason I had Speedway on the brain.

Update with Pics

Well, after some resurch, I found that the bike is a Rupp Enduro. I also got the chance to look it over a little bit more. I found that the Swing Arm is bent, the Shocks are on wrong, and the back brake cover were it holds the cable is broken.

Deters,

Do you think that I should worry about making it original or should I just make it to ride. I like the fact that it has a lot bigger wheels then my Manco Streaker. Also it the motor I got with it a good choise to use on it? I was thinking of putting the motor on my 1974 Kawasaki 250.

I got one of those on a pile of mini's that I didn't pick for my 9 bike 1 trike build, never really liked those bikes, is that one that slants the motor? What a dumb idea !!!!!
dave

Actually, Rupp, Speedway and others did this to eliminate oil starvation during hill climb, (a common problem with flat mounted splash lubed engines). It was determined that the engines were under the heaviest strain during acceleration and hill climb. Tecumseh & most other industrial engines are rated to run at rated power @ up to 20deg fore or aft. Rupp chose to take advantage of this to ensure good lube when the engines were creating the most pressure and heat.

"What about going down hill or stopping"? It was assumed that the rider would be off the throttle at those times, negating the lubing issues.

Not a bad idea when using a spash lubed engine in an environment never envisioned by it's designers.

Tec's and Briggs were designed to run level, yeah they run into hills and don't run at level going up a hill, on a level framed bike, but that degree is a minimal, to thro a flat head that far out, just ain't right, the frame I spoke of I bought off a friend, he had it running, and when I observed it "running" I felt sorry for the flat head, BRIGGS, that was on it, I can remember hearing it say it wasn't oiling properly, the great "splash", occurrs better when the "splash stick" comes into a cool pool of oil, and is not obtained at the angle the oil is leveled to on that style of bike, sure enuff, the funeral was a month or 2 later, somebody else got what was left of the motor, I got the frame for like 20 $, it is very low on the fix it list, may not do it at all!
dave

Last edited:
Tec's and Briggs were designed to run level, to thro a flat head that far out, just ain't right, the frame I spoke of I bought off a friend, he had it running, and when I observed it "running" I felt sorry for the flat head, BRIGGS, that was on it, I can remember hearing it say it wasn't oiling properly, the great "splash", occurrs better when the "splash stick" comes into a cool pool of oil, and is not obtained at the angle the oil is leveled to on that style of bike, dave
I used to think the same thing about the Briggs flatty, and would therefore never run one on a Rupp. That was until I remebered that the Briggs on my race Kart (and everyone elses with the under carb tank) was running at a 15-20deg foreward lean. After that, I started offering them to customers for Rupp and Speedway applications. No problems to date and it's been 10yrs.

It's hard to beat the 206cc Briggs. I've always called it the Small Block Chevy of small engines.

I got one of those on a pile of mini's that I didn't pick for my 9 bike 1 trike build, never really liked those bikes, is that one that slants the motor? What a dumb idea !!!!!
dave
Well I guess I have to thank you for your opinion, but just remember that they are like assholes, everybody has one....

And by the way, the pic you posted is not the same bike as mine.

Last edited: