Throttle Hookup on B&S 2hp

Ok, I'm very new to the mini-bike world, except for the one I built 30+ years ago for myself. I'm trying to build one for my son, I bought a used frame without an engine. I had a good 2hp B&S engine off a McLane lawn mower. I thought wow, easy, I'll just take the engine off the LM and deposit it on the used frame and my 6 year old can run up and down the street. Problem is the throttle on the engine was one of those 'push - pull' types and I'm having trouble hooking up the cable from the rotating grip, it's almost like I have to change the carb or setup to accomidate the cable rather than the push / pull setup that the LM had. There is no return spring on the current setup and it does not look like one can be installed either. Do I need a different engine? Any ideas anyone? I can post pictures if needed.

george3

Ok, I'm very new to the mini-bike world, except for the one I built 30+ years ago for myself. I'm trying to build one for my son, I bought a used frame without an engine. I had a good 2hp B&S engine off a McLane lawn mower. I thought wow, easy, I'll just take the engine off the LM and deposit it on the used frame and my 6 year old can run up and down the street. Problem is the throttle on the engine was one of those 'push - pull' types and I'm having trouble hooking up the cable from the rotating grip, it's almost like I have to change the carb or setup to accomidate the cable rather than the push / pull setup that the LM had. There is no return spring on the current setup and it does not look like one can be installed either. Do I need a different engine? Any ideas anyone? I can post pictures if needed.
post a pic of your engine. alot of different styles. I usually attach the cable by the pull choke on the early briggs 2-3HP. I cant help with out a pic.

Here is a photo of the throttle connection, it used to be a rigid cable push / pull setup - very similar to the one posted above. I'd like to keep the 'stock' attachment points if possible but I'm sick of getting stuff on ebay (or other) and not getting the correct stuff to make it work out.