tip for saving old carbs

oldfatguy

I saw this an smokstak,an old engine forum.To remove the powdery oxidation on a carb,soak it over night in vinegar and it will come out looking like new. I was wondering if any one heard about this or tried it. I have two Tecumseh carbs soaking now I will see how they look after a day or so.

delray

i like to see before and after pictures. if the carb is that bad? i wonder if that would help unfreeze the check ball inside the carb? give it a try and see what happens:thumbsup:

i like to see before and after pictures. if the carb is that bad? i wonder if that would help unfreeze the check ball inside the carb? give it a try and see what happens:thumbsup:

Since no one had a remedy for that,I've been meaning to try ultra sonic for that problem with the ball. I have a diver buddy that said the sonic equipment they use to clean diving parts will rip gunk off of anything.

Vinegar cleans lots of stuff including mild rust. Who knows!

Ultra-sonics work great. We have a bunch of them at work.
But.....they only clean where the liquid goes. If there's air pockets, that part won't get cleaned.

oldfatguy

From what I have been able to find out,the way to check a Tecumseh carb is to shake it and listen for the rattle noise.You do this with the float removed,and holding the throttle and choke levers.The check valve is a small metal rod or emulsion tube.Any way the vinegar did work a little to clean up the powdery oxidation.I also soaked the carb in carb cleaner and used an old tooth brush.I'm waiting for some new floats to come the old ones have pin holes in them and one was full of gas.I still haven't tried to remove the Welsh plug in the side of the carb,there is supposed to be 3 holes under there that can be cleaned out.One trick that I have used is to rev the engine and close the choke and open the throttle wide open to suck out the passages in the carb.This works on older cars too.

I was told to get them clean you must boil the parts in vinegar, not just soak. My buddy tried it and it worked excellent but stunk the house to hell LOL.:doah:

I was told to get them clean you must boil the parts in vinegar, not just soak. My buddy tried it and it worked excellent but stunk the house to hell LOL.:doah:
I quess if that would work I would use the old Coleman camp stove outside to keep from smelling the house up.

I had a rusty briggs tank and used vinegar out of the bottle in it (not boiled). A 24 hr. soak followed by a blast w/ the powerwasher got all the rust out.:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

thanks,boiling sounds like it might work.The guy on smokstak said that the carb came out looking like new.I didn't see that with the soaking so I will definitely try boiling the vinegar.It would be great if it works and saves the old carbs that are around.

Last edited:
hey, vinigar works, i told my son about it he boiled a carb on an outboard that he had rebuilt and cleaned but the engine still wouldnt idle. After a quick 20 min boil and a water rinse the thing started on the secound pull and runs like a champ.

Ultra-sonics work great. We have a bunch of them at work.
But.....they only clean where the liquid goes. If there's air pockets, that part won't get cleaned.
HEY scooterboy, i have been told the check valve or whatever,is in the
body of the carb,and seald,BUT what if you could drill a very small nole
or 2 to get it loose then fill the holes to close,i bet betwene randy and me we got between30 to 50 carbs we cant use for that reason.

Oldsalt

A Briggs straight type carb also has a check ball in the longer of the two tubes, the one that goes to the bottom of the tank. They too get frozen solid from gas varnish and corrosion from water. I have used caustic soda [lye] to soak the tube. That works. The tube is brass and no damade is quickly done. The body of the carb should never be put in lye/water solution. It will go away real fast and produce hydrogen gas. A couple of times I took off the little brass screen on the bottom of the brass tube. This makes the check ball accessable. But it's necessary to put the screen back on by solder. Another way that worked was to use liquid soldering flux [acid type] and a small flame on a propane torch to heat up [gently] the tube in the check ball area. The crap fairly boils out so that carb cleaner can be used to clean it up.

Best way is to use the Yamaha carb cleaner in a coffe can till it starts to boil and do that off and on for about an hour then let it soak in atf fuild for a day then wash with let over carb cleaner.