Tire mouting troubles

kbs8ball

For those tires I usually take them up to the tire shop and say...hey can ya mount these up for me...its pretty easy:lol::lol: but not free.

I meant SOAP. Soup haha. "yea, the vegetable wasn't working so I'm about to try Cream of Broccoli" :lol:

Yea my 225lbs still couldnt get that bitch on there...

I may have to just keep struggling before the last resort of bringing it somewhere.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I run a few of those tires. I have taken them to the local minibike shop to put it on. They charge $5, and they use WD-40. It still takes some skill though.

jeep4me

Lawn mower shops do a great job with these smaller tires. They have the dowsized equipment for putting them on and at $5-$10 it is definetly worth it. Not to mention saving your rim from destruction.

I run a few of those tires. I have taken them to the local minibike shop to put it on. They charge $5, and they use WD-40. It still takes some skill though.
The WD-40 works great for me along with 2 brake spoons. The spoons have just the right curve & width to pry the tire on the rim. Also you can heat the tires in the sun or with a heat gun (Go Easy With The Gun) . This will soften the tire compound enough to make them a little more flexible. As a last resort, you could put the rim in the fridge. for a while. The cold will shrink the metal wheel just slightly.Be careful not to pinch the tube with the spoons.Around my town, the guy charged me $12.00 a piece for mounting. That was enough incentive for me do it myself. Don't give up!

It also helps if you come up with a way to hold the wheel from moving, like putting the axle through and clamping it in a vise. Most soild rims are designed to be used with tubeless tires so the beads fit very tight. So what you have to do after you break the beads is push down one side of the tire to get the bead into the low part of the rim. Then on the oposite side pry the bead over the rim. It's kind of hard to explain and much easier to show in person but maybe you get the idea. With a set of tire tools and a little practice to learn the technique it gets alot easier. Hope this helps.

Check out these on ebay.
eBay Motors: Tire Change Tools MiniBike Mini Bike Chopper Cushman (item 170184091236 end time Jan-15-08 13:19:56 PST)

Harbor freight sells a mini tire changer machine thats sometimes on sale for $35 If you only have one or two, just take it down and have it changed but paint the inside first then deflate stuff plastic around the tire, inflate, paint, deflate remove plastic and inflate. (they WILL ding up your rims if pre painted final coat)