Tires???

Endo

My current tires are 4.10/3.50-6 and I'd like to go bigger. I get confused as to which sizes will fit. Is it any tire that has the same rim size (6, in this case) and will fit the forks and back end? I believe I saw 5.30/4.50-6 on other bikes here. The spread on my forks is 5". Does the 5.30 mean 5.3 inches?

5.30 is the section width +- (sidewall to sidewall, 5.30" in this case); 4.50 is the sidewall height +- (bead to tread, 4.50" in this case); 6 is the wheel diameter (at bead seat, 6" )

5.30 is the section width +- (sidewall to sidewall, 5.30" in this case); 4.50 is the sidewall height +- (bead to tread, 4.50" in this case); 6 is the wheel diameter (at bead seat, 6" )
When purchasing new minibike tires these days, it has been my experience that the section width and sidewall height numbers stamped on the tire will be less (sometimes significantly) than they actually measure.
Michael

Endo

Thanks for the heads-up. What's the best tire (regardless of size) for lawn/field traction? Assume a child (55-75 lbs.) is riding. I'm leaning towards the basic studded, they seem tried and true. Is there a rule of thumb about wheel clearance? Plenty of tires will fit but I need to buy the right ones the first time. Sounds like buying tires online is just like buying work boots, you have to try them on first.

When purchasing new minibike tires these days, it has been my experience that the section width and sidewall height numbers stamped on the tire will be less (sometimes significantly) than they actually measure.
Michael
That's why I included the plus/minus regarding those dimensions; (all) tire sizing is very inconsistent. Most manufacturers list actual measured overall diameter and section width of an inflated tire mounted on a specified width rim on their websites. If that information is not available, the numbers on the sidewall are all we have to go by; the tire may be taller/shorter or wider/narrower than what the sizing indicates.

Thanks for the heads-up. What's the best tire (regardless of size) for lawn/field traction? Assume a child (55-75 lbs.) is riding. I'm leaning towards the basic studded, they seem tried and true. Is there a rule of thumb about wheel clearance? Plenty of tires will fit but I need to buy the right ones the first time. Sounds like buying tires online is just like buying work boots, you have to try them on first.
I would consider the Carlisle Snow Hog front and rear; the rounded profile and wrap-around tread should work well on a bike. If I wanted even more drive-wheel traction, I would consider the Snow Hog on the front combined with Carlisle's Xtrac on the rear. This is speculation, as I don't have personal experience with these tires, but I'm sure there are forum members who do. Amazon sells these tires; price fluctuates quite a bit; you can check prices daily, or use a price tracker.

Carlisle Brand | Snow Hog Tire Information

Carlisle Brand | Xtrac Tire Information

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

Assuming you are referring to sidewall clearance, I would want a minimum of 1/4" to allow for some tire flex. For tread clearance, I would want a minimum of 1"; never know when you might pick up a stone. Just personal opinion.