Tony Stewart Incident

buckeye

Can't help it, live in the south. :laugh:

I just don't think there was any intention of hitting the kid nor harming the kid.

What is a fact, kid was more than halfway down a active racetrack.

Dark, closed quarters, adjusting gauges, adjusting the wing, and the fuel. That's what they do during cautions. Looked up, saw the kid right in front of him, at the very last second due to the lighting, the wing, the faceshield covered in dust, and the dsrk suit.

Never saw him until last second. Instant reaction, gun it to avoid collision.

He kept coming at him down the track after almost getting hit by the 45 in front of Tony. I don't think Tony had a chance to avoid him.

End of my part in this discussion.
Obviously some have a very different opion and me continuing to argue my point would be futile and worth no benifit to anyone.

R.I.P. Kevin Ward Jr.

delray

i have not got a chance to go back and read everybodys input. but to me it kind of looks like the kid had a death wish. first you see one car past him very close and then the kid moves around it and seconds later tonys car is there. if tony was that close to the other car. i would think tony would of not seen him standing on the track and it didn't help he was in a black racing suit.
either way it was sad to see the kid get killed.

Kart Guy and anyone else please give up 30 min of your life and give this a listen from a guy who knows what the hell he is talking about.

Nothing I didn't already know given I know many open wheel drivers, sounds like you are blaming the car's handling rather than the two drivers who share the blame for this tragedy. Anyone can talk out their arse, which is what it seems you are doing. Like KKK said, seems as if you joined a minibike forum just to spew your rhetoric. Do you even own or have interest in minibikes? If not you should bounce, most if not all the rest of us have earned the right to speak here through our common interests in minibikes.:hammer:

I'm not a Tony Stewart fan nor a Tony Stewart hater....but I will not believe that smoke did this on purpose. Kevin should have stayed in his car and this would not have happened !
Thanks for bring up this video Tom, for some reason I couldn't.
RIP Kevin Ward, and Thoughts and Prayers going out to his family.

I don't know how many if any of you have raced a modern sprint car but I have. I can tell you that your head is in a brace its dang hard to see left to right so I doubt Tony Stewart saw the kid until the last second.

Its ultimately the kids fault yes Tony was rough out there but he did nothing that I could see wrong.

I've been hit in the rear and pushed right into the wall its just part of racing.

If you watch this video from :07 to :10 which has been slowed down, you can clearly see there was a body under Tony's right rear tire which caused his car to kick sideways into Kevin Ward and hit him. Then with two bodies under it went sideways the other way.
:shrug:
Were would this 2nd body have came from and why is there no reports on it ?

Were would this 2nd body have came from and why is there no reports on it ?
Seriously Jesse?? I was making a point. If you read the quote i posted it is being claimed the only reason Tony's car slid to the side is because the body was under it. Obviously there is no second body, so obviously Tony's rear of the car went sideways to the right into Kevin Ward some other way. In other words Tony hit the throttle causing him to slide sideways into Kevin Ward.

I think if you look at this video closely you will see that Tony has the brakes locked up on his car...look at the lettering on the tires.

toomanytoys

I didn't read all the posts on this. I am sure this got heated. I don't believe what happened was intentional.

I raced dirt track for two seasons on 2004-2005. I didn't run sprint cars, but ran one season of novice(stock motor, G body car, cage, dirt tires) and one season of open wheel 4 cylinder modified.

My first race out with the novice class car, I almost hit the corner flag man twice coming out of the turn 2 because during a caution he would stand almost down in the corner on my right side and I could not see him. Even in reflective gear. Reflective gear has almost no use because I have no head lights on the car to light up the material, only track lights. At that track if you got out of your car on the raceway you weren't allowed back. Seen it happen twice. They told you unless your car is on fire stay in the car until you are cleared by safety personal to exit the car.

Visibility is very poor out of a race car to begin with and then throw on a helmet, visor, goggles, tear offs(muddy goggles suck).

Go out to your street car, put on a full faced helmet, suck yourself back into the seat as far as you can and you can only turn your head a few degrees either way. It's not easy to see is it?

What happened was a terrible "accident". You really can't even call it an accident in my book. He challenged Darwin and Darwin won. It would of been an accident his car would of spun out and the car behind him drill him and he was killed in the wreck. Him getting out of that car is no different than a guy making the decision to drink a case of beer and drive down the road and crashing into a telephone pole. It's a poor decision that cost someone their life.

I feel bad for his family, friends, and for him. His terrible choice cost him his life after only 20 years of living.

Snipped this from an article I read earlier

As far as Stewart intentionally hitting Ward? Locke doesn’t think so. He blames track lighting and lack of visibility from inside the car.

“If you take a look at the inside, the seat has big pads that come along the side of the drivers head… And the helmets we have today, you have no side vision out of them, so really you can’t see what’s going on on the side of you.”

I thought Tony was trying to throw dirt on him until I saw the slow motion. It looks to me that he didn't go sideways until he hit the kid. What Ward did wasn't too smart. Most of us wasn't too smart at age 20.:doah:

WrenchDad

I'm no expert by any means but I have sat track side to many of sprint races at our local track. From the video it looks like Tony's car swerves to the right after he hit Kevin. That makes sense as once an object hits the right rear it will slow it down but the left rear will still try to go the original speed . This results in the front of the car coming to the right until the driver can pull it back around. That's how it looks to me. Agreed Tony should have been lower. but ultimately that is exactly why you don't get out of the car because you cant control what the other drivers will do or what else may go wrong. Being a dirt track driver I'm sure Kevin new this. Regardless of how mad he was he never would have solved the problem being outside of his car. RIP Kevin. This video is of a wreck that happened at our track some years ago during an outlaws race. Now explain to me how he didn't see the truck! Again you never know what might happen . http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ED6ZZklVhwcKiYowNQcoEIg&bvm=bv.72938740,d.aWw

Only you all can turn a tragic incident into a stupid forum argument:doah:. Leave it to the "REAL" officials to determine the truth.:hammer: It is sad and tragic and should be lesson for the future racers and current.

Knowing several people who race, it gets a little annoying when a big-time hot-shot comes down & takes the chump change the other racers need. Seriously. The dude is a multi-millionaire, and he's racing against what, 20yro's trying to get a start in the sport that actually kind of rely on that little bit of help from their winnings to make it further? That would be like Jerry Miculek running a USPSA course against minor leaguers & taking their winnings (Jerry is a very honest & humble man, & has far more class than to do that) that they rely on.

Morally, I don't blame the unfortunate soul who got hit, but he really did make a hasty, and ultimately lethal decision to hop out of his car.

So in summation, I don't blame the kid for being really pissed, but he did make a very big mistake, and that is on him.

On a professional level, people like Tony Stewart should just stay away from races that are far below his league. It keeps the feeling of resentment away, and God forbidding he runs into a driver that is exceptionally talented, could save his career. What if he had a losing streak against some kid in a dirt car? There goes his career.