Tote Gote Climb-Away clutch help

I recently picked up what I think is a model 530 Tote Gote and have started the process of making it a rider again. Started out with the basics; clean out the tank, fuel line, new tubes, oil, etc.. It still had the original Dayco 2-D belt on it and was on its last leg. There isn't much information out there on these machines so I called a local belt, chain, and bearing place for help on getting a new belt. With a rough estimate of 42.25" in diameter and 7/8" wide, we decided that a 1422V420 belt should do the trick. Put the new belt on and fired it up for its maiden voyage down the driveway and back. I was expecting it to take off like my fathers Bearcat Twister but it seemed to go much, much slower.

From what I can see when riding it, the forward clutch is doing its thing and contracting onto the belt and making it ride up. Its only making it about half way up though. The same thing on the secondary clutch in back. Its not pulling its self down into the clutch. I can open up the secondary clutch by hand and the spring returns it to the closed position. My only guess is that the belt is too long. The engine is already all the way forward on the plate. What size belt should I go with next or is there something else that I should check in the drive system? Its only going about 4 miles an hour. This is my first time working with a converter setup. My other bikes have always used centrifugal clutches.

I'm also in need of an oil bath air cleaner and a original rear fender and bracket if anyone has one laying around!

Just sitting, how much gap is there between the belt and the driver? Thinking the belt is not wide enough, and possibly one size too long.

Top speed is slow on a gote. 15?

Hopefully Richard Trotter will be along shortly.

Your belt measurements are right, but the belt # is for a gates/goodyear brand belt. These belts aren't as heavy duty as the Comet 203791. The Comet belt can be found on the BMI karts site. Your Clutch may need to be cleaned and lubed with a dry, high temp moly lube like the Max-Torque clutch lube. Be careful not to get the lube on the belt or clutch surfaces that contact the belt.

Thank you Richard. I didn’t come across the Comet belts in my Google searches. I’m leaning towards the belt being too long. What I have now is 42.8” so I’m looking at getting both the 91A at 42.66” and the 90A at 40.5”. I can always slide the engine back on the plate for the shorter belt. I figure that the primary clutch just isn’t making it tight enough now to pull it down into the secondary.

40 Series Comet Torque Converter Belt: Go Kart Parts: Racing Karts: Engines: Frames: Tires: Tips: Kits: Torque

Where are you spraying the clutch with dry film lube? Just coat the 4 ball bearings and where they contact inside the dust shield?

Looking at that old ad, how can you tell if it’s a 531 or a 530 (low/high range)? Also, I guess that my data plate is missing due to someone bending one of the down pipes to fit a tank in the frame. With the updraft carb, where would the original tank have been mounted?

Thanks!

The 91 belt should fit. I bet the clutch shims are still in the clutch. The shims are made to be removed as the belt wears. If they are left in, the belt acts like it is too long. They fit on the shaft, between the 2 clutch halves. To lube the clutch, remove the outer half from the shaft. Remove outside cover and gently pull the springs off their tangs. Be careful not to stretch the springs too much. Clean and lube the center bushing and ball ramps. Don't get lube on any surface the belt will touch. 530 has 48 tooth sprocket and 531 has 40 tooth (jackshaft sprocket). Factory 530 didn't have updraft (flojet) carb. They came with Pulsajet carb/tank combo. Enjoy talking with you.

Ill go out tomorrow and do some counting to see what I have.

I just got my hands on an oil bath air filter for it and I see now why it didn't have one. The air filter doesn't clear the frame. I have a 5hp Briggs from 69' with the Pulsajet carb/tank on it that Ill swap on there this week and do away with the tank on the frame. Just wish that they didnt bend that portion of the frame to get the tank to fit.

Richard, could you send me a picture of your 530 between the neck and the seat. I want to see what add on brackets were used to hold this tank on. Id like to take anything not original off (cut and grind if need be).

My fender from OldMiniBikes came in and the radius is just a bit too small to use as a rear fender. Ill just keep an eye out for an old fender. Are there any suppliers out there that use a different vendor for their fenders that may have a larger diameter for an 8"?

My fender from OldMiniBikes came in and the radius is just a bit too small to use as a rear fender. Ill just keep an eye out for an old fender. Are there any suppliers out there that use a different vendor for their fenders that may have a larger diameter for an 8"?
Hi Aaron, I used that same fender and dollied it out on the side bends to extend the radius. I used wood as the inner dolly, and a mallet on the outter to extend. Worked fine, and then fabricated the side pieces out of OldMiniBikes's fender struts.

On the 780 or other drive shaft Gotes, one needs to have a removable strut, and I welded it to the fender, so now must remove the fender to remove the rear wheel. This may not affect you.