Tote Gote model B

Like I need more projects.... :laugh:

BTW, I am up to 4 now if we have a Build-Off!

Anyway, saw this on Ebay. Seller had 0 feedback and noone had bid. I said to myself "What the heck, bid on it." My one bid was the only one and the winner. Local pickup only... No problem, about 50 miles North of me. Nicest little old lady answered the door and led me back to a shed and said its in there. We talked for a bit and she had asked her son to setup the Ebay acct to sell off some of the stuff that had collected in the shed for years. She was growing her own herbs and has quite a garden. Definitely someone from a by gone era.

Wife thinks my buddy that lives up there found it in a barn... :laugh:

Anyway, here we have an almost complete Model B. The only thing really missing is the seat. I have the side screens. Looks like it was originally yellow, with repaints in red and finally grey.

The serial number looks like BC88 or BG88. Very hard to read and lightly punched.

Briggs has no numbers on it, just an old flojet 3hp.

Nothing is seized up. Motor rolls over and has compression, wheels roll, forks move up and down, and the in-grip throttle works! Grips are shot though.

On with the pics!

Your basic 3hp Briggs...

Sticker makes me think the recoil/shroud at least was replaced... :shrug:

Funky homemade throttle setup, and how do you use the kill with a spark plug boot?

And the clutch. Salisbury...

Only one problem with it...

Serial number barely visible here. I had to take about 8 pics to get one where you can see it.

Jackshaft pics

And the front brake. Someone added the bracket to it which is tacked to the fork. Grrr. Chrome might be salvageable.

Now what? I keep thinking to myself :doah:, but the dirty is done.

Last edited:
The motor numbers would have been on a plate mounted above the output shaft. It may have been painted over or lost. I think the forks are from a later model ( Model B's didn't have suspension) but the front wheel and brake are original. Should be a nice project!

Waiting for next years Build-Off. I am collecting stuff for it and may start early. Not in a hurry and since I have 4 project bikes after the Bird, and maybe more after tomorrow morning, we shall see.

Anyone have a Salsbury 400 driver laying around? Might settle for a 300 or 500....

One other thing, do the holes in the trees on the forks serve a purpose? They look out of place.

Last edited:
The holes in the 'triple tree' brackets were for the front brake cable. I bet someone will want that original salsbury clutch if it isn't seized.
Thanks Richard!

And I would like to keep the Salsbury 400 I have, but the stationary sheave is cracked.

Just putting out feelers for parts. Should have said "Anyone have a Salsbury 400 driver laying around? Might settle for a 300 or 500.... if I can't find a stationary sheave for my 400."

I was going to use this bike in this years Build Off, but I don't want any question of integrity or ethics coming into that. As such, the build will be done here.

I pulled off the footpegs and found yellow paint under two of them and grey silver under the other two. The front pegs had the yellow. That and the amount of yellow under the red and grey paint on the frame makes me think the bike was originally yellow and probably the color of choice. Also yellow under the "Tote Gote" sticker on the forks. Zinc Chromate primer maybe? Eh.

Last edited:
Bike is totally stripped down. No major surprises. Well....

Engine shroud is stamped with numbers telling me it was made the day before Halloween 1981, so not original. It is the right size, has the right carb and tank, so it will get rebuilt and reused. Carb linkage was bailing wire, so that will take some work.

Extra steel in the kickstand is cut out. It looks like the previous owner used it as a tow hitch.

Took the Salsbury driver apart and found a spring that is way too long in there. Looks like one of the 3 springs broke in the past and they stuck this one in there. The search is now on for a replacement. 2" OAL, 5/8" outside, .080" wire diameter, 15 wraps.

Bike has needle bearings in the wheels. Actually more like rollers about an inch wide and 3/16" diameter. The one under the sprocket is 2" wide. Overkill. I like that.

Time to fire up the parts washer, then some pics.

Not to hard for you to fix Don:eek:hmy:
Piece of cake....

I cleaned off the bearings in the parts washer and got the solvent into my watchband. A couple hours later, I have a nice chemical burn. Going to remember this build.

Found a supplier today for replacement jackshaft bearings, or at least the insert. LinkBelt doesn't make the same style bearings anymore, but you can get replacement bearing inserts. The problem is the riveted housing. Luckily I have a few hundred rivets left over from a project completed a few years ago.

Contacted my powdercoater and will be dropping off the frame/forks/wheels/brackets next week.

3 of the sprockets are well worn and will be replaced. Only issue there is the old ones are welded to the jackshafts... Ordered the sprockets and will spend some quality time getting them replaced.

This build is throwing me off since i am used to a lot of welding and modification to make it work. This is just parts replacement.

Maybe I should break out the faux Pak Jak and make the new frame for it....

Chemical burn day 2...

It also looks like the forks were sleeved for 1" grips on both sides. The yellow paint tells me the factory did it. The bad part is I already ordered 7/8-1" grip set for it. Have to order another set just to have two 1" grips.

And my serial number, which I thought was BG88 is actually BBG28. Dunno what that means...

Last edited: