Tote Gote Model P Help Needed

I just bought a Tote Gote model P. It is running with original engine. It has the Briggs and Stratton Six Horepower. The engine is Model 143302 Type 502762 and Serial number 146314. I need to see if someone can tell me how to hook up the throttle cable. It is installed on the handle bars and on the top of the engine and there is a spring on the back that needs hooked above the carb bowl. I just can't figure out how it hooks up. There is a zig zag piece with a hole in it but if I hook it up to that it pulls it up but it needs to go down. I am also interested in knowing what years the model P was produced as well as if anyone can tell me the year of the engine.

Thanks In Advance

These are some pics I took of an original tote gote throttle/pneumatic governor. This also shows the 4 post coil found on the model P. If you have a mechanical governor or a different coil then maybe your motor has been changed in the last 50 years. Look closer at the serial number.

The model P was made from 1959 to 1961. There should be a serial number on the steering tube but even that won't help pinpoint the date. Some of the later model P's had springs in the front forks. Any pictures you could post would help.

Mine is different than the one shown. I have a spring in the front and one in the back. I will try to post pictures. Can anyone tell me the year of the motor??? Briggs and Stratton Model 143302 Type 502762 Serial 146314???

Like Richard said, it's a 1960 give or take. You will never know for sure unless your positive the engine is original. Mine has a serial # PCC-22 and has sprung forks. I would be interested to see a model P with a spring in the rear, how about those pics?

This is a model P with a salsbury clutch. You can see the three 'lobes' cast into the outside cover. These were used until tote gote designed their own 'climbaway' clutch. This picture is from blkscorpion's recent post.

My model P is exactly the same as this photo. The only difference is the front box and mine has been stripped of the original green paint. Does the climbaway increase the speed? Mine currently has the Salsbury clutch on it but I have a climbaway that I could put on it.

The original motor for a model P was rated 5 3/4hp and had the motor numbers on a plate above the output shaft. This shows the governor adjustment spring on the outside of the carb. This also shows the climbaway clutch. Now the bad news... Tote Gote didn't keep production year information. Even the model production years are clouded. Now the worse news... Dating this motor will be difficult. Motors with the tag above the output shaft are usually dated by matching the serial number to a chart found on the 'antique small engine collectors club'. Their charts end before this motor, I guess it's not antique enough. Series charts from Briggs show a range of years for each series. The motor pictured is a 142000 series and was made between '62 and '65. The series charts skip over the 143000. Now the worst news... Most repair manuals (even those written by Briggs) do not list the 140000 motor at all. We have nicknamed this motor the 'red headed step child'.

Last edited:
Richard: Thanks again for sending me photos. In picture 4 of 4 I see the J shaped bolt with the spring. My engine does not have that. I have another gote that has one. Is it possible that the model P didn't have this item?? I have felt the plate this attaches to and feel no weld spot. If I need to I will change out the bracket. THANK YOU!!!!!!! I have heard your the BEST now I believe it.

Most of the credit for rebuilding the 142000 goes to my brother. Yes, you can find gaskets and other parts for these motors. The whole trick is to find the original briggs parts #'s. Using those #'s, you can search the net for the part. A lot of old mower shops are going out of business and posting their inventory on e-bay. I have a briggs file for the 142000 motor and I think all the parts should work on your motor. All the clearances, torque specs and settings are the same as the 170000 (7hp) and 190000 (8hp). All of the tin, shroud/recoil and carb parts are interchangable between these motors as well as valve train parts. So finding parts just takes time.