Tule Troopers

My 'collection' of Tule Troopers. Two little ones and one big one. Each has its own issue. I'll end up with one well restored little one and the Big Boy. I'm still in the process of collecting the required parts.

Awesome collection Don ! They truly do have a coolness factor all their own, hence my recent purchase. It looks like we need to create a Tule Trooper owners group...what do you think ?? :smile:

Sounds good to me! It seems they are vulnerable to cracking just aft of the motor plate on the left side. You can see the welded patch on the little green fugly one. I think yours may have a small piece of angle iron welded in the same area? Perhaps GTO, Scooterboy, or Steve Durham know of a better repair?

It seems they are vulnerable to cracking just aft of the motor plate on the left side. You can see the welded patch on the little green fugly one. I think yours may have a small piece of angle iron welded in the same area?
Yeah it does have a piece of angle iron welded there. When I was taking pics, I looked over the area on the bottom of the frame and and I couldn't see any cracked areas so I am hoping they added the reinforcement before it actually did crack. But I probably won't truly know until it is removed and see what it looks like underneath.

Sounds good to me! It seems they are vulnerable to cracking just aft of the motor plate on the left side. You can see the welded patch on the little green fugly one. I think yours may have a small piece of angle iron welded in the same area? Perhaps GTO, Scooterboy, or Steve Durham know of a better repair?
Just a thought.....Cut the frame in half behind the engine plate where they crack. Slide in a smaller dia. tube(OD real close to the ID of the frame) and then weld it back together. I'm sure it will reduce the spring action, but might be stronger.

Yup that is the right way to do it ! Currently doing this very thing to a trail horse frame that was rotted on the bottom side of the frame rails just behind the motor plate.
What seems to work VERY well is to leave a small gap (like 1/8") instead of butting the frame rails all the way together and welding in the gap after the inner sleeve is tacked in.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum, I am getting ready to restore my Tule Trooper! I am not sure what year it is and it is green as far as I know it is the original color. I have been searching online and all I can find is red ones.....? Does anyone have good recourses to parts? or websites? I will upload some pics soon!

Welcome! There really isn't a good source of parts, but we do a good job of trading amongst ourselves. We let each other in on leads and finds. Pictures are a valuable resource, as most parts can be fabricated.