Unkown engine, maybe a Tecumseh?

Yesterday I found this engine, along with a smaller one for pieces. It was most likely in a smowblower (horizontal shaft engine), but I don't know its manufacturer.

Here's a first pic of the engine, after I added a carburator and temporarily removed the primer bulb:

Another view:

I didn't find any serial number on the engine. Anyone know which model this engine could be? Thanks. :smile:

Looks like a Tech to me, what is that on the top of it? is it a place to plug it in to a outlet? or a overhead valve?

PS if it is a 8 horse or so, I have a recoil for one.

Last edited:
It kinda looks like a Tecumseh. How tall is it? It would have to be like a 12 horse or something older tractor OHV engine. It kinda doesn't look like a Tecumseh too.. You should pull some of the sheet metal off and see what you find.

oldsledz

I think the Kid is right, I have a HH16 that looks a lot tike that engine, it looks like the ID tag is missing it looks like the tag was under the carb.

I was told the one I have came out of a Sears tractor.

This engine has indeed overhead valves, which are perfectly fine!

The Restore Kid said:
It kinda looks like a Tecumseh. How tall is it? It would have to be like a 12 horse or something older tractor OHV engine. It kinda doesn't look like a Tecumseh too.. You should pull some of the sheet metal off and see what you find.
I didn't measure exactly so far, but I'd say between 12" and 16". Also, I removed useless sheet metal and did not find anything...

Oh BTW if it can help anyone identifying it, under the flywheel there was a coil, probably a generator, and the flywheel has three magnets inside. I assume the coil generated power for the snowblower's light. It was broken and actually was obstructing the flywheel, so I removed it. I also discovered there was a starter motor.