Upgrading MM E -1000 electric bikes to Lithium ion batteries.

I74

Modified one of the new packs for Fred's bike, so it would fit in the Alum. case I made.
Turned out slick. :cool:
We rode together the other night, & had a frigg'n blast,, with us each having these packs now. :)
I kept the hard case on mine,, just drilled a whole bunch of cooling holes in it.
Used Fred's case as a pattern for the holes on mine.

It was a Bitch cutting the case up on his.

Gott'a have ventilation on batteries. ;)

Added,,

With the 6.1-1 gearing on Fred's bike, I think he's pushing 40 now,, in the 3rd speed position.

100_6722.JPG

100_6723.JPG 100_6725.JPG 100_6726.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Been kicking around motor heat sink ideas on the elect. bike & Kart ...
Since the bikes now over volted to 48v,, the motor runs a bit hotter,, especially in this ''grueling'' summer heat. o_O

I designed & made this heat sink for it out of aluminum ''shower door'' channel, that I pulled from a dumpster a few years back. LOL
Think it turned out pretty slick, & the motor should run ''at least'' around 20*f cooler. :cool:
Doesn't weigh Jack squat either,, maybe 40 grams or so ...

Am going to make one for the elect. Kart also,, probably next week.

Added,,

I mounted the other Sun-F AO-21 on the rear the other day,, plus drilled strategic cooling holes in my batt. case,, referencing off of Fred's battery.
It rides & handles like a dream now,, & the batt. stays ''way'' cooler. :)
Motor heat sink should even help keep the batt. floor cooler also,, which in turn, should also help in keeping the batt. even a bit cooler.
Custom contoured ''front open slotted'' side cover, up against the heat sink now,, I think will also give some ''ram air'' cooling effect,, to the heat sink & motor.

I
100_6757.JPG
100_6755.JPG
100_6756.JPG

Last edited:

I74

Took the Elect. Mini out yesterday aft. for a 20min. ride,, as it was in the mid 50's.

Temps are going to drop pretty quick now,, & that could very well be the last ride of the season.

Glad I went out. ;)

I

I read this entire thread about 4 times over this past week after I found it searching for ideas. My middle school son has a Monster Moto E-1000 that we have been looking into modifying. I am definitely going to use the tidbits you put on this thread to plan the upgrade for a summer project.

174, thanks for the details as it makes for a complete story to appreciate and follow.

I74

I read this entire thread about 4 times over this past week after I found it searching for ideas. My middle school son has a Monster Moto E-1000 that we have been looking into modifying. I am definitely going to use the tidbits you put on this thread to plan the upgrade for a summer project.

174, thanks for the details as it makes for a complete story to appreciate and follow.
Am glad that you found this thread useful. :)

Added,,

I'd go with the BM -1109, 1800 - 2000w,, 48 volt set up, with - ''2'' decent 13s 4p packs in parallel,, if I was doing it again. ;)

That thing will fly ! :p

I

Last edited:
Am glad that you found this thread useful. :)

Added,,

I'd go with the BM -1109, 1800 - 2000w,, 48 volt set up, with - ''2'' decent 13s 4p packs in parallel,, if I was doing it again. ;)

That thing will fly ! :p

I
Awesome! I got it on my sheet to spec out and purchase.

One other question and I don't mean to clog up your thread. On your bikes you built here with your batteries in parallel, did you arrange them so you still had to charge them individually or is there a way to only have one charger for both packs? With my research on BMS, it doesn't appear that you can charge both packs with one charger.

I74

No, you are not clogging the thread, that's one reason it's here. ;)

You definitely want to charge both packs individually regardless,, with 2 separate chargers.
For one, it's ''a' lot'' easier on the chargers,, & will make them last longer.
A lot of the packs will come with chargers anyways.

If you go with the 1109 motor, the O.D. is a wee bit larger than the 1020, which means that if you configure the motor & controller in the stock housing like I did on mine,, you will have to grind more than I did off of the controller fins ect., & try & keep a bit of clearance between the motor & controller.

I would also go with the 10 - 65 gearing,, as that is a great all around efficient set up.

I have an extra like new ''dressed'' 65t sprocket, if interested, just send me a PM.

Definitely don't want a larger back sprocket than that, with the larger motor, as it will try to do wheelies every time you take off.

No, you are not clogging the thread, that's one reason it's here. ;)

You definitely want to charge both packs individually regardless,, with 2 separate chargers.
For one, it's ''a' lot'' easier on the chargers,, & will make them last longer.
A lot of the packs will come with chargers anyways.

If you go with the 1109 motor, the O.D. is a wee bit larger than the 1020, which means that if you configure the motor & controller in the stock housing like I did on mine,, you will have to grind more than I did off of the controller fins ect., & try & keep a bit of clearance between the motor & controller.

I would also go with the 10 - 65 gearing,, as that is a great all around efficient set up.

I have an extra like new ''dressed'' 65t sprocket, if interested, just send me a PM.

Definitely don't want a larger back sprocket than that, with the larger motor, as it will try to do wheelies every time you take off.
Good info on the motor/controller clearance issue and for clarifying the need for both chargers.

I will definitely take you up on that 65T rear sprocket offer for me to buy. Since I am new, it will not let me send you a PM yet. Feel free to send me a PM (when you have time) and I can send you the money and my info. I really appreciate it.

If anyone else perusing this thread is doing further upgrades :scooter: and needs someone to buy your old stock, let me know as well. I am shooting to start this project in the spring so it will be ready for summer. I will also peruse the classified thread on this site as well to allow continued use of good equipment.

I74

Good info on the motor/controller clearance issue and for clarifying the need for both chargers.

I will definitely take you up on that 65T rear sprocket offer for me to buy. Since I am new, it will not let me send you a PM yet. Feel free to send me a PM (when you have time) and I can send you the money and my info. I really appreciate it.

If anyone else perusing this thread is doing further upgrades :scooter: and needs someone to buy your old stock, let me know as well. I am shooting to start this project in the spring so it will be ready for summer. I will also peruse the classified thread on this site as well to allow continued use of good equipment.
Are you planning on mostly riding it on road ?
If you are, I would definitely get those ''Sunf'' tires that I posted about prior.
It's a no brainer with those, & they are smooooth,, & also make it handle awesome. ;)

Stock tires are garbage unless mostly running off road.

I

Are you planning on mostly riding it on road ?
If you are, I would definitely get those ''Sunf'' tires that I posted about prior.
It's a no brainer with those, & they are smooooth,, & also make it handle awesome. ;)

Stock tires are garbage unless mostly running off road.

I
Yes, I already ordered the Sunf tires since it will be mostly road/pavement driving.