Using and hooking up Ariens headlight generator for DC voltage

I have used the old Ariens snowblower headlight kit that comes with a AC bolt on generator that bolts up to a special Recoil assembly. The recoil has a hole through the center to accommodate a shaft that mounts to the flywheel nut, the shaft is what spins the generator. The generator is AC voltage and has a special plug that plugs onto the Gen. The plug must have some sort of resistor built in. if you want to run it just for lights that's fine to use it as it is. BUT if you want to convert it to DC voltage remove the plug and install a 1-amp diode to one terminal and ground the other terminal. At high rpm it will put out enough voltage to charge a small battery for 12v DC electric start. Check out one I installed on my MTD custom. Here's a Video. These Gen's & recoils are kinda hard to find. I have 3 that I'm keeping. Check ebay & your local Mower shops for old Snowblowers with the light kit's https://youtu.be/Q9F_v33NQCU

Attachments

Last edited:

jeep4me

Yep, those are great. I've sold a number of those over the past few years. Sometimes I'll buy the whole snow blower, just to get that generator.

They're perfect if you're looking to just run a headlight on a minibike.

delray

thats the first 69 Mtd in that style frame i have seen. i thought they where all built in the early 70's and up? is there a date code on that frame that tells you this?
also i am wondering how 1amp alternator is going to charge your battery when the headlight alone is drawing 2+amps.

I used a one amp diode to smooth the AC voltage out. Thus taking the AC voltage from the gen. to convert it to DC. I see in your diagram that they offered a dc converter conn. It probably has a 1-amp diode in it. I checked voltage at the battery when running the engine with a meter and it was pushing over 13 volts into the battery. No all decals & ID missing. From my research all I could find was that they started manufacturing them in 69.