Vacuum Tube Amplifiers

i like to design and build audio vacuum tube amplifiers. here
is my latest creation:

this is 5 watt per channel stereo amplifier using 12AX7's as the input
stages and 6V6GTA's running class A for outputs.

my goal for this design was to be able to run junk chinese tubes and
get good power and excellent linearity.

here's a few seconds of johnny cash on the initial power up after
signal generator tests:

http://vid677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/cheesenip3/6V6JohnnyCash.mp4

:biggrin::drinkup:

I know a guy in Lithuania who might be of interest to you guys.

His name is Martynas email tashkis@gmail.com

I will vouch for him...
You need tubes and RF stuff ( he has some very impressive big power tramitter stuff )

NOS

Send me a PM for more details.
Recently he sent me a list of his warehouse stock.
If you need parts It worth talking too him.

My buddy builds all his own tube amps. I am not much of an audiophile but I have been considering getting back on the air. At least for the winter. Personally I like stock power no more than 100watts is fine by me. N1FU :doah:

Phil that is a clean design. Nothing extra in the signal path.

I had to look real close to see the bias resistors to the left of the 6V6's. Dual power line input fuses is kind of unique as well. Is that because you are running dual transformers? I'm guessing the 6V6 heaters are in series?

5 Watts in single-ended mode must sound great! Looks like small Hammond iron on the output, with taps for 4, 8 or 16 Ohms. I don't recognize the rectifier...

NOS's tube guy got me a matched quad of 6L6's for my push-pull 11 Watter. Sweet sounding and less than 100 bucks shipped.

I like how you wrote it out on the board, and installed the terminal strips vertically. You win the prize for least number of caps in an amp design! Nicely done and sounds clean.

Jon

P...

NOS's tube guy got me a matched quad of 6L6's for my push-pull 11 Watter. Sweet sounding and less than 100 bucks shipped.

I like how you wrote it out on the board, and installed the terminal strips vertically. You win the prize for least number of caps in an amp design! Nicely done and sounds clean.

Jon
He is a very nice young man.
Also has all your NBC needs covered if your a prepper lol.

Phil that is a clean design. Nothing extra in the signal path.

I had to look real close to see the bias resistors to the left of the 6V6's. Dual power line input fuses is kind of unique as well. Is that because you are running dual transformers? I'm guessing the 6V6 heaters are in series?

5 Watts in single-ended mode must sound great! Looks like small Hammond iron on the output, with taps for 4, 8 or 16 Ohms. I don't recognize the rectifier...

Jon
good observations!

ok, the dual fuses are there for me when i drop the needle
nose pliers! the power supply is my favorite part of the amp.
instead of tossing in the typical plate transformer that costs
$50 i used a 30 VA 1:1 isolation transformer with the secondary
wired as a doubler with the negative side going to ground.
the filter is a pi with two 330uF caps in series across the
doubler and one 330uF across the output. the inductor
is a 2H 100 mA choke, the supply voltage is 320 volts or
so, the max dc spec on the choke coil to ground is 250 so i
put the choke in the negative side saving some serious
bucks on a choke rated for a higher voltage. the transformer
costs about $10, toss in the filament transformer at $8
and i saved about $30 in just the power supply, an
engineered solution!

the filament transformer is a 12.6 ct part, both 12ax7
filaments are wired across the secondary with filament
centertaps going to the transformer center tap. the
6v6's are wired in series with the common filament
lead going to the transformer center tap.

i've found that modern (cheap :chinese: :001_9898:) tubes
have varying filament resistances so a straight series
doesnt work too well even with the 12ax7's.

i plan to make a few changes; add some caps on both
screens, add an riaa phono preamp using another 12ax7
for each channel, change the plate to grid coupling caps
between the 12ax7's and 6v6's from .047 to .22uF to
extend the low end response to about 50Hz, and some
rfi hardware.

:drinkup:

Phil,

That is a clever power supply! I have to wire one up and see how that 'scopes out, especially the negative-side choke $$ savings. The isolation transformer part is more familiar, I have done a couple of back-to-back filament transformers before.

Really nice of you to share the details. If you are an engine person reading this, and wondering what language we are speaking, just know that Phil is doing the electronics equivalent of designing a fuel-injected Honda engine, using classic high quality parts to get just the power curve he wants. He has the skill to tweak and make it exactly as desired. Like any kind of design, simplicity is elegance, and is the direct result of mastery.

Jon

Phil;I must say nice work I am Impressed.I used to build all kinds of electronic audio and electro-mechanical projects as a teen,wish I had stuck with it. but engine building is also very gratifying for me. :thumbsup:

i think 'you be styling' with one of these in your pocket dave:
:thumbsup: A friend of mine was heavily into the tube amps, moving coil speakers, etc. He was also an electronics geek, worked on flight sims. Cool guy, and we used to enjoy going to his house, grilling, drinking home brew, and listening to old 45's. Heck of a great sound.

He passed very suddenly with pancreatic cancer, but reading this thread I was reminded of him. A couple of you guys on here know your shit. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: A friend of mine was heavily into the tube amps, moving coil speakers, etc. He was also an electronics geek, worked on flight sims. Cool guy, and we used to enjoy going to his house, grilling, drinking home brew, and listening to old 45's. Heck of a great sound.

He passed very suddenly with pancreatic cancer, but reading this thread I was reminded of him. A couple of you guys on here know your shit. :thumbsup:
I am very sorry to hear about your friend.

Its a lot of fun to play with simple things.
Clear honest simple designs and machines however are rare these days.

There is will not be an alll tube Iphone.

got the prototype metal in today, here it is with the
wood chassis. the wood will be other species, i used
pine for the prototype:

here is the amp with all the top side parts placed:

nothing is screwed together yet. found one minor interference
fit with the fuse holder retaining nut and the wood chassis. a quick
change will fix that.

i used DraftSight to design this piece, a 2D version is free and
is very easy to use.