Valve Sleeve Damage

I am seeking advice, having never attempted to build an engine for performance before. I have rebuilt my 5hp briggs in the past but its time for another go around. This time I want to aim for "bang for buck" performance as the engine is going back on an old go-kart. Last night, when I took the valves out I did not have a spring compressor so I used the screw driver method. In doing so I damage the bottom of the valve shaft by hitting it with the screw driver causing a bur. I tried knocking down the bur but could only do so much. When I removed the valve, the bur scratched the valve sleeve. Should I be worried about this in anyway? If so is there a way to re-sleeve the valves or should I look into getting another block. Also, the crankshaft has a little side-to-side play in it. Is that typical or is it time for another block anyway. Is anyone in the KC area that knows of a good machine shop for my build or that would be willing to offer assistance for my first time build?

Was the burr on the valve stem bad enough to where you had to use more than a few fingers to remove it? A light or moderate scratch won't bother much. A good dig will be cause for alarm. Briggs does offer thin wall brass sleeves that can be installed to repair worn parent metal guides. They require special tools for installation. As far as crankshaft end play goes, there is a tolerance that should be closely held to. Does your engine have a ball bearing, plain aluminum or bronze bushing in the side cover? The end play is controlled by using gaskets of varying thickness.

Last edited:
in regards to the valve removal, it took more than two fingers. The side cover is only plain aluminum, no bearing which is why I am considering buying a new block all together.

For one thing it's called a "Valve Guide".
You can get them on ebay easy.

Removing and installing them are tuff,
and I think it would require a machine shop to do it.

Crankshaft endplay can be dangerous if it is extreme.
I don't have my repair manual right now so I couldn't tell you what is acceptable.
Excessive endplay does lead to rod failure, even if it's billet.:sad: