Valve Spring

ohman11

Does the flat spot on the spring retainer go down like at 6:00 position towards the rocker arm? I hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

So if its points away from the rocker the flat side be at 12:00, right?
what r u considering the flat side? You mean the opening where the retainer allows the valve to slide through & then lock onto the valve? If tats what your taking about then yes. the wider opening of the retainer should be pointing away from the rockers.

ohman11

what r u considering the flat side? You mean the opening where the retainer allows the valve to slide through & then lock onto the valve? If tats what your taking about then yes. the wider opening of the retainer should be pointing away from the rockers.
Well my spring retainers are not perfectly round, they have a flat spot on them. I guess I need to take a pic.

I had to pull out one of my stock retainers to see how the locking part of the retainer corresponded to that flat spot you were talking about.

That flat spot needs to be back toward the rocker. I beleive that is a relief to allow additional clearence for the rocker body. The flat spot on the retainer is exactly opposite of the wide opening where the valve comes through the retainer & locks onto the valve.

So Flat spot on outside of retainer towards rocker. Opening that allows the valve to even come through the retainer away from the rockers? Hopefully that will clarify things a bit.

ohman11

I had to pull out one of my stock retainers to see how the locking part of the retainer corresponded to that flat spot you were talking about.

That flat spot needs to be back toward the rocker. I beleive that is a relief to allow additional clearence for the rocker body. The flat spot on the retainer is exactly opposite of the wide opening where the valve comes through the retainer & locks onto the valve.

So Flat spot on outside of retainer towards rocker. Opening that allows the valve to even come through the retainer away from the rockers? Hopefully that will clarify things a bit.
That was the conclusion I had come up with. Thanks for the help!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That flat spot is mad to clear the bottom of the rockers. It should be pointing in the 6 o' clock position like you said at first.