Varnish in gas tank. Help needed

I have never ran into this type of clean up yet. Has anyone on here any ideas as to how to remove the varnish and correctly clean the tank out. Thanks Rick

MJL

Yep, that ain't varnish! Old timers trick was to fill 1/3 of the way with small gravel, strap it firmly to the rim of a tractor and drive around with it all day.

With that level of rust, you may open up some pinholes once you clean it all off. If so, you could try one of the liquid gas tank sealers.

Not sure what it would do to the paint, or if you care, but the electrolysis rust removal method may work as well (search YouTube).

Last edited:
After you get most of that rust out your going to need to seal the tank to make sure the rust doesn't come back, and to seal up any pin holes that popped up during the restoration process.. I like to use the Cycle tank kit from KBS it works wonderful.. another option is bb's and a paint can shaker.. followed up by apple cider vinegar soaking (for at least a week) but you will still need to seal the tank as it will flash rust after its clean as soon as it hits the air.. You tube is a good source for inspiration.. and you can fix that it will just take some elbow grease!

capguncowboy

Get the big stuff with BBs or #6 wood screws and a good shake for a 10-15 minutes. Then soak it in a chemical rust treatment like Evaporust. Then seal it with a liner. RedKoat works really well on tanks is super easy to work with -- just tape off any paint you don't want removed since it's Acetone based. Then you'll be good to work on the outside of it.

I googled it. I need to get the varnish out first. Muratic acid will burn out the varnish then nuetralize the acid and rinse tank. The rust im not to worried about yet. I am intending on using this tank if it good on a differnt project if it is any good. Its not going on a Rupp. Thanks for the info and help.

cfh

When i was a kid we fixed that with Coke-a-cola and BBs. shake shake shake. i was amazed at how it took the rust away. but of course as others have said, it comes back if not sealed.

O.J.Didit

Personal recipe, Fill tank 1/4 way up with Works toilet bowl cleaner add a few small bolts, shake, rattle and roll through course of day. Drain tank then rinse works out with hot water then cold, allow to dry then fill 1/4 way up with MEK and agitate, repeat till MEK comes out clean. Use caution because MEK will remove or streak paint. Seal with Redkoat per can instructions as Capgun suggested.

Do in well ventilated area and avoid all fumes.

O.J.

Last edited: