Wards drag bike project

125ccCrazy

I got a little done on the wards project, just starting to mock up the rear wheel, engine mount, Tav2 ect.....

I decided to try a Tav2 on the clone, if it doesnt hold up I'll go with a Cheetah or Stinger clutch..

Engine:
6.5 clone
arc rod
arc flywheel
flat top Honda piston
.080 milled and ported head
.010 head gasket
SS valves
Chromolly push rods
285 lift 250 duration cam
Taylor 8mm plug wire
6 degree flywheel key

Frame:
Wards/Columbia
Rear cut off, flipped and extended an additional 3", widened 3"
New engine plate (will be mounted at 10 degrees approx)

What are those wheels on the bike in the picture before you cut it?

I see you finally found a wide wheel for the back:thumbsup:

OH yeah......Lookin' Good:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

What are those wheels on the bike in the picture before you cut it?

I see you finally found a wide wheel for the back:thumbsup:

OH yeah......Lookin' Good:thumbsup:
those are 8" pocket bike wheels which are up for sale or trade if anyone is looking for some..

The rear wheel is one I had, I just cut out a spacer with a hole saw from some thick nylon block to make it wider, wheel is approx 5" wide now.. I'd rather had a match to the front wheel but this is what I had to work with for now..

Thanks for the compliment...

I like what you have done with the frame and putting the engine on a angle. Rear wheel looks good that size. I also like the way the engine is set up it should move out good. Just wondering what happened to the handle bars though. Good job! 125cc

125ccCrazy

I like what you have done with the frame and putting the engine on a angle. Rear wheel looks good that size. I also like the way the engine is set up it should move out good. Just wondering what happened to the handle bars though. Good job! 125cc
I have to trim the handle bar tubes down a little lower and then weld on the drag bars.... I was also looking at raking the forks out a bit but haven't made up my mind on that yet..

It's looking good:thumbsup:
How fast you think it's gonna go?
I really don't have any idea on speed, I'd only be venturing a guess if I threw out a number..

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
OK well if you can try to buy a tach. That way once you start teaking on the motor you can measure your performance gains.

A lot of guys just think they can feel it. But you can't unless it's a real big difference.

125ccCrazy

OK well if you can try to buy a tach. That way once you start teaking on the motor you can measure your performance gains.

A lot of guys just think they can feel it. But you can't unless it's a real big difference.
whats a good tach out there?? I looked at an autometer but it says it's for Briggs only....

125ccCrazy

Mychron and Digitron are jr drag/ kart tachs. Vapor is another one.. Vapor Digital Gauge at Trail Tech Home
Those mychron tachs are out of the question at $300...

Are the vapors 6v,12v? do they need a external battery source or do they take like nicad batterys??.... I've seen them but don't know much about them...

I like the looks of the round Autometer tachs they have for the jr dragsters but they say Briggs only?? Any idea what the deal with that is? Briggs coils are the same set up as most lawnmower or mb engines with the exception of the plv coil...

I would say if you were gonna get a mychron or digitron to just get a used one from 4cycle classifieds. From what someone told me the Vapor can run off something like a 9V battery. Hmmm just looked in my PMs on 4cycle and couldn't find it :O

DennisGB I think was the name of the guy over there that used one on his UTV.

125ccCrazy

I run the little SenTac orange tach. It has the highest RPM recall in it. That's a very important option. They usually cost about $50 on ebay
I couldn't find anything under that name on ebay...I found the tiny tachs which just have a ground and a lead that wraps wround the plug wire, they are a tach and hour meter, not sure how accurate they are..
HONDA Small Gas Engine Tiny Tach Hour / Tachometer R-2c - eBay (item 330308844215 end time Jun-18-09 06:48:24 PDT)

125ccCrazy

CCCCCChanges

Ok the drag bike has gone through some more changes... I put a shorter slick on the back, raked the goose next to stretch the front end out a little more and give the bike a slight downward rake.... I cut the drag bars back off and reworked the original handle bars, shortened them, spread them apart a little more and pulled them back..... I just got my kick stand today from BMI and welded that on, these kick stands are awesome, very simple but effective....

Here is some new pics with an original pic of what it looked like when I bought the bike from Miked....

I have a little more body work to do on the frame and it's ready for some high build urethane primer, block that and paint...