welded on sprocket

1970 atlas with 4 in one-piece rims. #35 sprocket which is welded onto the hub from the factory. I'd like to be able to change sprockets and the teeth on this one are pretty rounded over.

Any ideas short of buying a new wheel assebly?

Also, how do you all remove and remount your tires on one piece wheels...I've always delt with two piece.

"Also, how do you all remove and remount your tires on one piece wheels...I've always delt with two piece."

Some folks do it themselves but when I've tried that all I got was bloody knuckles and hours of frustration. I now pay $5-$10 a wheel at HF, some Sears and Wal-Marts or a lawn mower shop. Just make sure they have the correct machine to do it and not some gorilla in the back. The metal lip around the rim is a very soft metal and gorillas can ruin your wheels if your not careful. Good luck. :thumbsup:

You may have to buy a new wheel assembly for the sprocket issue. Others will chime in with suggestions hopefully.

I have considered changing a sprocket on one of these as well, here's my thought:

Buy the same diameter and tooth count sprocket, slip it over the hub and align perfectly with the old sprocket and clamp it on. Drill bolt holes through the new and old sprockets or if there are bolt holes in the new sprocket just drill through the old. Then cut off the top inch or two of the old sprocket and bolt on the new one. Now you will have to shim the wheel/hub over or move the engine over to accomodate the sprocket being 3/16 futher out. Doing it this way makes sure the sprocket will be centered as well as not wobble.

Maybe consider buying a manco wheel sprocket, they have six bolt holes already. Once the initial holes have been drilled with the same size sprocket you could then buy other tooth count manco sprockets and they'll bolt on just the same.....

Last edited:
Yep thats what id do. I have done it a few times. you can always drill the holes slighly larger than the bolts if you need to adjust it for wobble. but generally I can get it right first time. As for the tires just lube it up and go to town with a couple screwdrivers. Its no easy feat with 40 year old rock hard rubber on rusty rims. Just gotta work them off a tiny bit at a time . Last resort if the tires are garbage It is possible to hack them up to get them off. take a sharp razor knife and cut all around the tire close to the beads so you have nothing on the wheel but the beads. then you can easily cut them with a cutoff wheel or even bolt cutters. Iv been wanting to make a tutorial video since all the u-tube videos are terrible. brand new wheels I think there is even one with a woman doing it lol

Last edited:
I had thought about doing this as well. I could also shim the clutch as well to move it out to match the new sprocket as well. I'll let you know how it goes. How bad does a sprocket need to be before you say heck with it?

george3

I had thought about doing this as well. I could also shim the clutch as well to move it out to match the new sprocket as well. I'll let you know how it goes. How bad does a sprocket need to be before you say heck with it?
If its pointed its junk, might cut wood good? LOL

"Ive been wanting to make a tutorial video since all the u-tube videos are terrible. brand new wheels I think there is even one with a woman doing it lol"

Jeep I think a lot of folks would benefit from that......especially me. Let us know.:thumbsup: