What brake drum do I use on a Manco aluminum brake drum?

What brake drum (for band brake) do I need to bolt up to a 6" Manco aluminum wheel? The bolt pattern on the one that came with the bike doesn't even come close.

Thanks for your help.
Jerry...

Look for seller "enginepowered" on Ebay, he has a kit with your choice of 60 or 70 tooth sprockets and come with everything including a lever and cable. You have to open up the drum center slightly to clear the bearing register but the drum bolts to all six holes. They are only like $39 or so, I have several for my Manco wheels and will be running one by the weekend on my Trailblazer with 6" Manco wheels.

markus

Hit up member theJoker, He had found the correct bolt pattern band brake drums somewhere, I lost the link as its been awhile since me and him talked about it and I sold the bike. but he may still have the info.

I have a 4.5" drum and internal expanding brake assembly from an Arctic Cat that will bolt on, it's for sale @ $35 delivered. If you only need a drum there are a bunch of the Arctic Cat drums on Ebay, they are made for internal brakes but I bet a 4.5" band would cinch up around it.

markus

I have a 4.5" drum and internal expanding brake assembly from an Arctic Cat that will bolt on, it's for sale @ $35 delivered. If you only need a drum there are a bunch of the Arctic Cat drums on Ebay, they are made for internal brakes but I bet a 4.5" band would cinch up around it.

I actually did that with a brake I had here when me and joker were talking, I dunno how well it worked, The bike got sent out to cali and I dunno if he ever finished it or changed it. I used just the drum from this NOS "kit" from Mathison shown below and used the band brake that was on the bike (manco chopper).

they are only 16 bucks here:
NOS 4" Drum Brake Assembly w/ 3 Hole Mount for Bonanza, Manco, and Thomas - Old School Mini Bike Parts & Stuff

I'm considering the drum brake offered by "enginepowered".... Do you know if it will bolt to my Manco wheel without issues?
Yes, I used that setup for my CCS charger which had Manco wheels from the factory. I welded a little chuck of square stock to the frame for the brake plate anchor.

I try to keep at least one of those brake/sprocket units stashed away here with a 60 and a 72 sprocket handy....they fit a few wheels so they are good in a pinch. They are actually the overstock from Lomart/cheeftah when they went out of business. but the drum also has the 3.25" 6 hole bolt circle so it can fit alot of wheels with some mods :thumbsup: they are a direct fit to a manco 6" wheel though, 5" you gotta mod them a little

I started to install the drum brake today....Be aware, I have built cars but this is my first attempt at mini bike building. I take it for granted I am required to fab up a bushing to keep the brake shoes from contacting the heads of the bolts that hold the brake drum to the wheel? I hope this is the case, since I can see no other way to do this. :grind:

I have come to the conclusion the drum brake setup that "Ace" suggested isn't going to fit without hacking up the rear dropouts. I just ordered the drum brake setup that "Markus" had listed....I'll give it a try.
t

I have come to the conclusion the drum brake setup that "Ace" suggested isn't going to fit without hacking up the rear dropouts. I just ordered the drum brake setup that "Markus" had listed....I'll give it a try.
t
Yes, the one from Mathison will fit. This is standard bolt pattern on all 6" Artic Cat bikes. They all use Manco wheels. Wish I had seen this sooner, I probably have a few spare drums.

The drum is going on a Manco "Trail Cat". I had no issues bolting the drum/sprocket , the problem lies in the fact that I can't center the wheel without the brake mechanism interfering with the drop out plate on the frame. The drum brake That Markus posted looks more streamline, so I may be able to get the extra 1/4" I need to center the tire in the frame.

markus

I'm surprised that it's not lining up that bike pic I posted is a CCS, they may as well have been manco frames and I think that they may have been affiliated with them. The original setup for that frame was the band on the right with the same axle mounts as alot of the trail cats, I want tot say the only thing I had to do was weld on stop tab to the framerail and set the spacer for it to fit on the bike

don't think there was too much brake info but heres the build thread for it:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/67759-ccs-charger-hoodride.html

I took some pictures to show my dilemma but for some reason it wont let me load them.
The pivot for the brake actuator arm and the cable mount both interfere with the dropout and if I drill holes for them to pass thru the dropout the anchor for the cable will hit.

I thought I should probably figure out how to post the pictures so I can possibly help out some other unfortunate soul having the same issue.
View attachment 77815 View attachment 77816 View attachment 77817
From the pictures, I think the Arctic Cat style manco brake from Mathison would work best for you, better than what you show. They are very low profile but you need to use them with a short axle spacer. You could get away with as short as 3/8". The pivot on the actuator arm only extends 1/4" beyond the hub, not nearly as obtrusive as what you show. They do not have an integrated cable stop/holder. That part is typically a tab welded to the frame or in Arctic's case, on a sliding bracket. The arm can be rotated to sit above or below the axle. If you want pics, let me know.