What is a, mini bike?

I don't know exactly how you would be able to define what a mini bike is, because there are many different options. For example, the Hodaka powered Bonanzas have a dirt bike motor with a multiple speed transmission, and they have a kickstart. Also, the big baja bikes (mb200, Heat, Warrior, etc.) In my opinion are still mini bikes even though they are not as mini as a Cat or Ruttman for example. The big bajas are powered by the same OHV engines that many put on those bikes (honda/clones). That being said, would Square Choppers stretched Baja Warrior be a mini bike? it did have a 2 cylinder vanguard. I don't know, but as far as I am concerned it doesn't really matter, as long as those dumb pocket bikes don't get lumped in with mini bikes I am happy. They had a similar arguement in the hot rod world over what is or isn't a street car? Nobody can decide or agree on the same definition. Even though I beliec that Oldsalt's definition of a old skool mini bike is 100% right. :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

I don't know exactly how you would be able to define what a mini bike is, because there are many different options. For example, the Hodaka powered Bonanzas have a dirt bike motor with a multiple speed transmission, and they have a kickstart. Also, the big baja bikes (mb200, Heat, Warrior, etc.) In my opinion are still mini bikes even though they are not as mini as a Cat or Ruttman for example. The big bajas are powered by the same OHV engines that many put on those bikes (honda/clones). That being said, would Square Choppers stretched Baja Warrior be a mini bike? it did have a 2 cylinder vanguard. I don't know, but as far as I am concerned it doesn't really matter, as long as those dumb pocket bikes don't get lumped in with mini bikes I am happy. They had a similar arguement in the hot rod world over what is or isn't a street car? Nobody can decide or agree on the same definition. Even though I beliec that Oldsalt's definition of a old skool mini bike is 100% right. :thumbsup:
Ya. I'm with you...as long as the stupid pocket bikes and suchlike don't get thrown in the definition I'm happy as a clam. This whole discussion seems, to me, to point up that there are some folks here [on OldMiniBikes] that like, and tend to collect, the more 'developed' minibikes that have some suspension and slightly larger wheels and possibly a frame mounted fuel tank and etc.. Then there are others that gravitate toward earlier and more fundamental models. Me? Now that I think about it...I only have three minibikes with swing arms [out of 30+]. Obviously I'm in the latter group.

My main attraction to early minibikes is that they are, bar none, the most fundamental pieces of motorized transportation ever devised. Tube frame, hand cart wheels, lawnmower engine and a scrub brake. Am I a 'purest'?