What is a timing key?

Hey guys im trying to expand my knowledge on these predator motors. Ive seen items for sale like timing keys. What are there and how do you install them and what performance gain do you get?

A timing key is a woodruff key that is stepped to allow the flywheel to be clocked slightly advanced which speeds up the spark to keep up with added air and fuel flow, it simply replaces the standard woodruf key. That's the simplest explanation I can give.

Last edited:
Something you should never buy or install...

I call them flywheel wreckers...

Best is to save your money and get a degree wheel, lap the flywheel good, and set the timing using the degree wheel...

Something you should never buy or install...

I call them flywheel wreckers...

Best is to save your money and get a degree wheel, lap the flywheel good, and set the timing using the degree wheel...
Same comment I made in my Tote Gote build thread. Researching flat head (Raptor) cam indexing and ran across that info. It was surprising to me. The key either at the stock setting or with an offset makes timing far quicker, but there are some variances between engines.

The degree wheel cost me some printer ink, and a little bit of work with sissors and glue. The entire process of indexing was very simple, but to time it, I suspect that using an inductive light and remove 12VDC source while spinning the motor is more accurate that eyeballing the side of the magnet against the coil.

Raptor12.JPG

Prowler and I are talking about not using a key at all. Set timing with a degree wheel and torque it down. Then verify dynamically.

Maybe this is all common knowledge that no one ever in the history of OldMiniBikes bothered talking about or photographing, and the OP and I are the last to know. :thumbsup: Quite a few of those instances lately.

I was surprised too - to learn that most of the big power motors do not use any key at all and lapp the flywheel to the crank with valve lapping compound. It just seems counter intuitive at first but I understand it. I am very familiar with full sized degree wheels in full sized motors, I haven't got around to buying a tiny little degree wheel yet but I was looking at them a while back.

What do is find my stock timing with the flywheel I am using...
Then put a mark on the flywheel and block...
I then put timing tape on the flywheel...
Now I can either advance or retard it with out guessing.

Yes lap the flywheel good to the crank...then make sure both surfaces are super clean...
Torque to 80-100 foot pounds...
I use the 1/2" impact... Mine always gets it between 80-90 foot pounds...