What lawn tractors are good racing candidates?

Can anybody tell me what lawn tractors are good racing mower candidates? I was thinking about picking one up, but wanna know the ones that have the least mods to do to them. Any ideas? I won't actually be racing it, but I will be cruising it around the gravel roads and town, and I like to go fast.

Eh.. most any cheap piece O crap MTD thang with a flathead dsingle cylinder briggs, and a shiftable rear end..

OVER driving ANY tractor rear end is a good way to burn it out.. Like a GOOD tractor.. I/E OLD pre 70's 80's Simplicity/Aliss Chalmers, Wheel Horse, Cub Cadet, Bolens, Ford...

With a CAST IRON rear end

Any of those will HANDLE being abused A LOT better...

BUT, theya are also MUCH heavier, so trying to drive the WEIGHT of a huge tractor 30 MPH is rough as hell on belts....

THINGS TO AVOID!!!

A LOT of the tractors throughtout the 90's and even today.. Are a (variable speed) drive sytem with two V-Belts one to the motor, then one to the rear end... The rear end is ONLY forward and reverse...

THOSE are a POS :angry: because #1 the rear ends are REALLY crap.. BUT #2 the retarded belt system is a bitch to work with...

Those are junk....

Hydrostats are not meant to be beat and over driving one of those will burn the clutches out...

BEST thing you can do is find the oldest cheapest POS MTD or Dynamark you can find.. With a SHIFT ABLE transaxle.. 3 speed, four speed, 5 speed... 12.5 flathead briggs.... Add a larger pulley to the engine, YOU CAN ungovern the engine but don't OVER wind it.. use your best judgment there.. strip all un needed weight..

Then go blow something up and kill yourself.. :hang:

Build a HEAVY DUTY scatter shield around the flywheel.. Those things are HUGE heavy iron wheels.. pointed right at you :hang: They usually throw rods out the side though.. :hammer:

maddcarson

lower them too. take the spindles and weld them a couple inches higher so that it drops the front end. i dont know how they drop the back of them