what model and year is my tote gote?

Actually pre-dates the model B. It was called the model VS in the ads. We think this stands for 'variable speed'. The very first production tote gote had a v-plex clutch and was not variable speed. This probably had a Depco clutch. The throttle worked in the opposite direction as modern controls. Ralph called this the 'second generation' throttle. Normal throttle appeared on the later model B. Was probably made in 1958 or 1959.

thanks for the reply...it does have the depco clutch and the opposite direction throttle ..it is pretty much all original but is missing the motor and the drive clutch that goes on the motor....it still has the tote gote badges on both sides and the forks...i'm going to round up an engine and get it running...i think a comet 30 drive clutch would work...i'm guessing the the original style drive clutch would be hard to find....is it a depco also?

Both the driver and driven clutch on the Depco system will have the name cast into the aluminium. Comet 30 would be my guess for a replacement, sorry I don't have any belt information but you could go with the comet belt size charts.

Dave, do you still have the "driven" pulley? If so, what is the width, and is it symmetrical with both "grooves" being the same angle?

Strength-wise, a Comet 20 clutch and driven pulley would work. The driven generally fits a 5/8 keyed shaft.

This link shows the currently available Comet sizes.

yes the driven pulley is still on the bike and its symmetrical ....its a deepco and the belt is still there...belt is bx-48...i was going to try to use the deepco driven and a comet drive and see how it works

hi guys..i have an older briggs 4 hp that i want to put on my tote gote...i thought all briggs mounts were the same...the slotted holes dont line up...also when i set the motor in the frame and line the pulleys up...the recoil starter hits on the frame ..looks like i'll have the put some blocks under the motor to raise it up..anyone else ever try to put a later model briggs on a 1958 tote gote?

james c

you can take a comet 20 series driver and take 1/8th off the fixed hub and it will work with the deepco driven unit. standard 20 series is 3/4" belt and deepco is 5/8" belt, thats why you need to mod the driver to engage the narrower belt correctly, just dont take too much off the fixed hub or the belt will drag and not disengage.