What size chain is on the Baja Warrior/Heat bikes?

I am going to be ordering a Comet TAV for my Baja Heat and I need to know what size chain is on the bike, is it 35 or 40 chain? :shrug: Thanks.

MB165

420 is factory installed. 40/41 works, but there are lots of choices with 420, HD, Oring etc, plus 420 has a higher tensile rating. ebay has tons of them for cheap.

buckeye

I guess you guys beat the hell out of yours. Mine with the jackshaft does well for me. Regular maintenance. Guess I am missing the extra a tav would give me. Guess when I do a rebuild, I will need to budget for one.

joekd

I guess you guys beat the hell out of yours. Mine with the jackshaft does well for me. Regular maintenance. Guess I am missing the extra a tav would give me. Guess when I do a rebuild, I will need to budget for one.
Exactly what I did, I thought the bike was fine as it was but then I swapped motors on my son's kart so the NR racing motor was sitting there ready to go so I figured I would go all the way and upgrade to a TAV as the same time

fonz

OK...Don't hold me to this. Look it up in a good roller chain chart. #40,#41 and #420 all have the same pitch....1/2 inch. The difference is the thickness. A #41 sprocket is 1/4 inch. A #40 sprocket is 5/16 inch. A #420 sprocket is 3/8 inch. So you could drive a #420 chain with a 1/4 inch sprocket in a pinch, but a #420 sprocket would never fit into a #41 chain. Again, check a good roller chain chart.

Main reasone I am getting a TAV is because the shaft that has the 10t and the 20t on it is bent slightly because I bought the bike from a guy who had a wreck with it. The slight bend causes the chain to slowly file down the clutch sprocket. Plus, I have a header, jetted carb, and air intake on it and my DB30 with the 2.8hp that had a ram air setup, jetted carb, header and no gov. passed it in a race :doah: The 2.8hp is no longer with us, but it irritated me. :cursing:

chrisr

here is a link on chain sizes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=min...q=mini bike chain sizes&imgrc=aFjSoQ5ENZSAKM:

OK...Don't hold me to this. Look it up in a good roller chain chart. #40,#41 and #420 all have the same pitch....1/2 inch. The difference is the thickness. A #41 sprocket is 1/4 inch. A #40 sprocket is 5/16 inch. A #420 sprocket is 3/8 inch. So you could drive a #420 chain with a 1/4 inch sprocket in a pinch, but a #420 sprocket would never fit into a #41 chain. Again, check a good roller chain chart.