What solvent are you using for cleaning Carburetors

nightgrider

Picked up a small ultrasonic cleaner for dirt cheap today. Just was wondering what solvent everyone was using to clean carburetors in an ultrasonic cleaner? Thanks

Harquebus

Almost anything can be used, such as simple green, plain water or one of those purple degreasers in various dilutions.
What small engine extraordinaire Mustie1 uses is Berryman CHEM-DIP. I've seen his carburetors come out spotless. The solution is not something you have to change out often, as the dirt is churned up by the ultrasonic waves and then settles on the bottom. That's great news for the expensive stuff.

Awesome, we have a Russian speaking spammer. ура товарищ!

Last edited:
Be careful with any alkaline cleaners as they will discolor the aluminum turning it black. Awesome cleaner from the dollar store works well if mixed correctly but too strong will also discolor the aluminum. The only foolproof stuff for aluminum is the simple green aircraft cleaner and degreaser it will not darken the aluminum. That said I have a industrial Branson Ultrasonic cleaner that heats the water very hot and then I clean and check every 15 minutes using a dilute solution of the awesome cleaner and with carbs gunked up with the green slime they come out clean in about 30 minutes. I have forgotten them and left them in too long and they come out dark. Steel and other metals no issues.

Attachments

f4radar

Gallon can of Berryman's. I throw whatever I want cleaned in there. Then I set the can on my outdoor air conditioning unit, strap it down with a bungee cord and turn the temperature down in the house. a few hours later I have clean parts and a cool house. IMG_5428.jpeg

Last edited:

nightgrider

I've got an old can of carb cleaner around. Not sure the self life if any on those sort of things. My dad pulled it out of his tool shed. I have yet to open it up.

Harquebus

I've got an old can of carb cleaner around. Not sure the self life if any on those sort of things. My dad pulled it out of his tool shed. I have yet to open it up.
I do use aerosol carb cleaner too, along with a detailed strip and poke-the-orifices-with-fine-copper-wire routine but carburetors are routinely covered in a caked-on mud/oil mix and I hate using mechanical removal methods (paper towels, toothbrushes etc).

ole4 is absolutely correct about some degreasers darkening the aluminum. Watch out. The cleaning agent has to be aluminum and magnesium-safe...or just don't leave it in there overnight. Neutralize it with water too.

Here's another contender: Simple Green - SMP13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner

Augiedoggie

I use evapo rust in the harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner for most metal parts but it turns the carburetor parts black. A friend has suggested pine sol cleaner for carburetors but I haven't tried that yet. I normally use simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner with decent results.

nightgrider

I do use aerosol carb cleaner too, along with a detailed strip and poke-the-orifices-with-fine-copper-wire routine but carburetors are routinely covered in a caked-on mud/oil mix and I hate using mechanical removal methods (paper towels, toothbrushes etc).

ole4 is absolutely correct about some degreasers darkening the aluminum. Watch out. The cleaning agent has to be aluminum and magnesium-safe...or just don't leave it in there overnight. Neutralize it with water too.

Here's another contender: Simple Green - SMP13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner
I've got both a new can of aerosol and the old gallon can of carb cleaner my dad gave me. I'll have to crack open that gallon to see it's condition. Not sure how old it is. I can't ever remember my dad using it. So it probably predates me... if it looks questionable, you all have gave me some great things to try.

I did a test on some rusty screwdriver parts last night. Used a 50/50 mix of water and CLR. I was very impressed. The Driver bit must have something in its pot metal that didn't agree with the CLR. It did get discolored after about 24 minutes of cooking. But for a $6 used jewelry ultrasonic cleaner. I'm tickled pink with the result. Should be about the perfect size cleaner for small engine carbs.

Attachments

Minimichael

I've got both a new can of aerosol and the old gallon can of carb cleaner my dad gave me. I'll have to crack open that gallon to see it's condition. Not sure how old it is. I can't ever remember my dad using it. So it probably predates me... if it looks questionable, you all have gave me some great things to try.

I did a test on some rusty screwdriver parts last night. Used a 50/50 mix of water and CLR. I was very impressed. The Driver bit must have something in its pot metal that didn't agree with the CLR. It did get discolored after about 24 minutes of cooking. But for a $6 used jewelry ultrasonic cleaner. I'm tickled pink with the result. Should be about the perfect size cleaner for small engine carbs.
All this talk about fancy cleaners was making me a little envious ... Right up until "$6 used jewelry ultrasonic cleaner"

6 bucks? That's the magic right there.

bruces

Your old can of carb cleaner is probably the real good stuff ,the tree huggers ruined our abilities to buy that anymore so it’s precious to many of us .I have also used simple green before with good results ,but the pine sol is cheap (so is simple green ),and has not done me any harm for many years now .

nightgrider

All this talk about fancy cleaners was making me a little envious ... Right up until "$6 used jewelry ultrasonic cleaner"

6 bucks? That's the magic right there.
Yeah, when I said I picked it up for dirt cheap, I meant it. Lol Couldn't pass it up for $6. Not ideal, but should fit the use. Sometimes you'll be surprised what shows up at the salvation army thrift store.

I just asked my neighbor, a life-long farmer. I bought this house and land from his daughter after his sister passed.
He never heard of an ultrasonic cleaner and he says the ONLY thing he soaks any tractor parts or tools in is TIDE laundry soap mixed 50/50 with kerosene.