What solvent are you using for cleaning Carburetors

This is the can of carb cleaner my dad gave me.
Solder Seal Gunk !

:)

I just had to give a shout out...I don’t know about the actual product...mine is more sentimental...Back in the early sixties my Dad was a sales rep for Radiator Specialty...the company who at the time manufactured Gunk products.

Man I wish I had all the old Gunk advertising merch that Dad had as promos.

So based on my purely sentimental recommendation (to get this back on track)...I'd give it a try !!!

Augiedoggie

I just use orange Zep from Home Depot. Mix 50/50 with water. Air hose it dry when done then use carb cleaner spray to make sure its clean. View attachment 304745
I have this harbor freight cleaner and found that it works but the timer has shit itself and will require constant reset and unplugging unit to keep it running. Wouldn't recommend this one. Anyone have feedback on other brands? I bought this one as an experiment and don't think much of its value. Any suggestions for budget minded ultrasonic cleaner?

cfh

i use LA Totally Awesome from the dollar store. Use it straight from the bottle, though sometimes i dilute with water, if i'm low on it.
but you can use just about anything. the liquid is breaking the surface tension of the dirt on the part. so just about any degreaser type thing will work.

Last edited:
I have this harbor freight cleaner and found that it works but the timer has shit itself and will require constant reset and unplugging unit to keep it running. Wouldn't recommend this one. Anyone have feedback on other brands? I bought this one as an experiment and don't think much of its value. Any suggestions for budget minded ultrasonic cleaner?
Yeah, not the best but it works. You do have to reset the timer a lot. And it shuts down when it gets too hot. ( That's why the lid is off in that picture)
A bigger new one that fits larger motorcycle carbs would be nice.

Mr. Pink

You do have to reset the timer a lot.
It should be fairly easy to bypass the timer and install a simple on/off switch.

And it shuts down when it gets too hot.
I doubt an ultrasonic cleaner has a thermal overload switch like most cooking appliances have.
Bypassing the timer should also remedy this condition.

*Edit*
Looking at the HF website, I see this model does have a heat setting.
As long as you are tinkering inside the cleaner with a soldering iron, a new thermal switch is only a few bucks.

Last edited:
Prior to retirement I managed a site that produced precision needle bearings. I preface my suggestion based on this fact.
Quality Assurance uses ultra-sonic baths to measure dirt particles. This was done by placing a container of mineral spirits in the ultra-sonic bath of water. Yes, the ultra-sonic bath contained plain water. For quality's sake, the mineral spirits was filtered and read for dirt count. For the sake of this discussion, you can do the same with your choice of cleaner in a can or jar placed in your ultra-sonic bath. Also, I have cleaned many disassembled motorcycle engines, some with caked oil, decades old. PB Blaster, WD-40, Mineral Spirits (NOT ODOR FREE TYPE), search paint thinners for real Mineral spirits. Dawn liquid dish detergent to rinse residual solvents. To remove silicon grease or anything with silicon use 50/50 acetone/isopropanol alcohol mixture. ALWAYS USE SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. KEEP AWAY FROM SPARK & FLAME. NEVER USE CHEMICALS IN CLOSED ROOMS OR INDOORS. Sorry for the rant, but safety 1st. Thanks!

Augiedoggie

Prior to retirement I managed a site that produced precision needle bearings. I preface my suggestion based on this fact.
Quality Assurance uses ultra-sonic baths to measure dirt particles. This was done by placing a container of mineral spirits in the ultra-sonic bath of water. Yes, the ultra-sonic bath contained plain water. For quality's sake, the mineral spirits was filtered and read for dirt count. For the sake of this discussion, you can do the same with your choice of cleaner in a can or jar placed in your ultra-sonic bath. Also, I have cleaned many disassembled motorcycle engines, some with caked oil, decades old. PB Blaster, WD-40, Mineral Spirits (NOT ODOR FREE TYPE), search paint thinners for real Mineral spirits. Dawn liquid dish detergent to rinse residual solvents. To remove silicon grease or anything with silicon use 50/50 acetone/isopropanol alcohol mixture. ALWAYS USE SAFETY GLASSES AND GLOVES. KEEP AWAY FROM SPARK & FLAME. NEVER USE CHEMICALS IN CLOSED ROOMS OR INDOORS. Sorry for the rant, but safety 1st. Thanks!
Are you using aromatic or flammable solvents as cleaning agents in ultrasonic cleaner? I'm confused