What solvent are you using for cleaning Carburetors

Are you using aromatic or flammable solvents as cleaning agents in ultrasonic cleaner? I'm confused
Ok. Mineral spirits 12-22% aromatic. So yes, both aromatic and flammable can be used, but in a separate container placed in water filled ultra-sonic bath. Keep in mind the hotter the solution the more vapors are released. Be careful.

nightgrider

Decided to try to clean a very sorely neglected CT70 carb I got with a basket case CT70. Considering where it started, compared to where it ended up. It did pretty good. The ultrasonic cleaner removed most of the grime. But on the heavy corrosion and varnished fuel. I did have to bring out a brass brush on my dremel and a pick. Overall it did a good job.

Attachments

Decided to try to clean a very sorely neglected CT70 carb I got with a basket case CT70. Considering where it started, compared to where it ended up. It did pretty good. The ultrasonic cleaner removed most of the grime. But on the heavy corrosion and varnished fuel. I did have to bring out a brass brush on my dremel and a pick. Overall it did a good job.
Sooooooo...What cleaning solution/solvent did you end up using? Seems only appropriate to tell us considering that you started this thread asking for our input on what we use.
Michael

nightgrider

Though in the end I used this ultrasonic carburetor solution on Amazon. Pretty much just a degreaser that is safe for aluminum. Though at times I did just use regular water with a little dish soap in the last cleanings. I really would have like to use Berrymen's or Gunk carb cleaners. But with my machine just being a little one for jewelry. I was a bit hesitant to use harsher solutions. Though I think they would have performed the best. Figure this would be a good test as a worst case carburetor situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Solution-Carburetors-Cleaning-Immersion/dp/B09KKGRKPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1SS0N3ZXWU669&keywords=ultrasonic+carburetor+cleaner+solution&qid=1694203549&sprefix=ultrasonic+carbu,aps,132&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1&th=1

Last edited:

Minimichael

Though in the end I used this ultrasonic carburetor solution on Amazon. Pretty much just a degreaser that is safe for aluminum. Though at times I did just use regular water with a little dish soap in the last cleanings. I really would have like to use Berrymen's or Gunk carb cleaners. But with my machine just being a little one for jewelry. I was a bit hesitant to use harsher solutions. Though I think they would have performed the best. Figure this would be a good test as a worst case carburetor situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Solution-Carburetors-Cleaning-Immersion/dp/B09KKGRKPG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1SS0N3ZXWU669&keywords=ultrasonic+carburetor+cleaner+solution&qid=1694203549&sprefix=ultrasonic+carbu,aps,132&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1&th=1
Thanks for the review. This is good info for diy'ers on a budget. I look for jewelry cleaners whenever I'm thrifting now!

nightgrider

Thanks for the review. This is good info for diy'ers on a budget. I look for jewelry cleaners whenever I'm thrifting now!
You're welcome. This one worked well. Though it might have convinced me to get a bigger machine. We'll see how many carburetors I end up cleaning in the future.